Chapter 24

Colt's POV

I clench my fist tighter as the dark-haired beauty next to me trails her fingers down my chest. I could smell the floral perfume sprayed across her neck, along with another scent. Fear...and desire.

She's usually the exact kind of girl I would go for. Dark hair, ample breasts, submissive. And yet, I felt like setting myself on fire for letting her touch me. Because it's not her hands that I crave, but that of a stubborn and dominant silver-haired tribrid.

"Enough," I growled, knocking the girl away from me as I picked up a book discarded on my desk.

A huff of annoyance was released before Samantha stepped back into my personal space. "You invited me."

I snorted, "Actually, you saw me heading back to my dorm and invited yourself in."

She crossed her arms, putting her breasts on display, though I didn't bother looking. "Well, you looked like you needed company," she said, moving to place her hand back on my arm.

I caught it before it could reach me. "If I wanted company, I would have fucked you by now, Samantha. I asked you for something and you brought it. Anything else?"

Her eyes narrowed angrily as she yanked her hand from my grip. "Fuck you," she snarled as she grabbed her bag and stormed out of the room.

I sighed, more in annoyance at her presence rather than her hurt feelings. I looked down at the book she gave me, wondering if I would regret going down this path.

Samantha didn't question why I was asking about the subject. I mean, if anything, she probably thinks it's just for a class.

I opened up to the section I was looking for, my heart instantly searing with pain at what I was reading. "How to sever a mate bond."

I closed the book abruptly, the pain ebbing to a pulse. I couldn't do it. I would just ignore it, like I do every other inconvenience in my life. How hard could it actually be? With the pain I've felt, this would be nothing. I'll just ignore her and those other bastards until I leave this place.

I close my eyes, trying to block out the look she gave me in the woods. Walking away was the hardest thing I have ever done. I swear I could feel her pain through our bond, but I think that was more from my guilt than anything.

I snorted at the thought of feeling guilty. Why should I feel guilty? I didn't ask for this. Neither did she, my mind added unhelpfully.

Harley's POV

I could hear my heart pounding in my chest as I beat my wings faster, trying to outrun my own pulse. I could feel my own throat seizing up as my brain strained to comprehend what just happened.

I slam open the window and climb in ungracefully, tripping over Daxon's gym bag and a pair of Olivia's heels. I straighten myself, looking around the empty dark dorm room to make sure that I was indeed alone. I mean, Olivia is at the party, and Daxon is probably still with...

I rub my hands down my face and exhale heavily. Mate. Maeve is my mate. I should be happy. Hell, I should be fucking ecstatic, and yet, here I am looking as if someone just snapped my wings.

The truth is, I'm relieved. It wasn't for nothing. That kiss we shared wasn't a betrayal. These feelings I've been hiding from her are pointless. Because I can finally tell her. Then, why did I leave?

The look on her face when I told her I couldn't do this, us, makes me absolutely sick. I didn't want to hurt her, but what could I have said?