Chapter 37

Everything freezes. It's like my brain was disconnected from my body, like I was floating in a blank space in my mind. Sister. I don't have a sister. Do I? Flashes of memories try to surface, and if this were a few hours ago, I would gladly welcome them. But now? I don't think I can handle it.

"I don't have a sister," I say, my voice sounded weird to my ears, but I couldn't understand why.

My mother looked at me through tear-filled eyes. "You did though. If you would just let go, you would remember. We've had this exact same conversation several times before."

I couldn't understand what she was talking about. I couldn't believe that she was still lying to me. I would remember this. There's no way something this traumatic could be forgotten, right?

"Where are you going?" Everett asked, standing up.

I looked down, not realizing I had even stood up. "I can't be here right now," I whispered.

"Sweetheart," Atticus says, reaching for me.

I pull out of his hold, "Don't touch me!" I look at all of my parents with blurry eyes. Am I crying? I felt anger building up in me. "You sent me away!" I yelled, feeling such agony in my chest.

Axel looks absolutely shattered at my outburst. "Maeve, you killed someone in our clan. What were we supposed to do?!"

I knew he was right, but... "Not send me away like I'm some problem you can get rid of!" I say, backing out of the room more.

"Maeve, please sit down. We need to talk more about this." Mom said as she tried to approach me.

I shook my head hard. "I don't think I can," I say, feeling so small at this moment.

"You can!" Mom said, grabbing my face in her hands as she looked at me with the dominance only a Luna could possess. I felt like a small child again, reversed back to when she would hold me and tell me that everything would be alright. "Just let them in," she said softly.

I closed my eyes as tears trekked down my cheek. I inhaled deeply, letting my walls down, and was immediately assaulted by visions of the past.

"Hey, put that down!" Kellan yelled with laughter.

I stood in a misty haze, looking around at the messy room around me. Toys were littering the floor while drawings scattered along the walls. This was the old playroom at one of the smaller pack houses on the land.

"Maeve." I turned around at the sound of my name, but Kellan wasn't talking to me. Or well, this version of me that is.

A smaller and happier version of me was laying down on my stomach, drawing. I must have been about 12 years old at the time. My hair was longer then, almost completely white. I grinned at whatever Kellan was pointing at.

My eyes locked with a much smaller child, one of about 6 years old. Her chubby face was smiling from ear to ear as she moved her hand around in a circle. Movement caught my eye as I watched her levitate toys around the room, one being Kellan's favorite toy, an action figure of a superhero.

"Lily, seriously, put that down!" Kellan scolded her, but he wasn't mad. I could hear the amusement in his voice.

Lily?

The name flickered with recognition as I was suddenly pulled into a different memory.

"Lily!" I yelled as I ran across the field leading to the lake.

"Meve! Meve!" She screeched with laughter from behind me.