Chapter 38

I remember the day that he was talking about. I was upset by what my parents had said. That my magic was unpredictable, that I was unstable. I mean, I knew they didn't mean me personally, but hell, it felt like it.

I had hurt someone else, luckily it was only my dad, Everett's beta, so he didn't take it too hard. But still, I had done some real damage. My magic was strong...and uncertain. And my parents were rightfully worried and upset.

Then, that day on the lake, I made a mistake. A huge one. I didn't know anyone was out there. I swore I didn't. But after the cracks split the ice, there was no stopping it. See, once my magic is let loose, there's no stopping it. I will never forget the guttural screams coming from the water. I tried stopping it, I did.

I even dived in, swimming through the bone-chilling water, trying desperately to reach the sounds. But I couldn't. I didn't even remember getting out of the water.

My eyes look up, locking with the smoky pupils of the man in front of me. "You pulled me out."

He nodded his head slowly. "Yes."

"Why?" My voice broke on that one word.

His hand caressed my cheek again. "Because. You and I have big plans."

I pulled out of his reach, or as much as I could in these chains. "What is that supposed to mean?"

He sighed in frustration. "Your powers are growing exceptionally well."

"Well?" I ask in exasperation. "I'm unstable. I ki-"

He raised a dark brow. "Killed someone?" I didn't speak as that harsh word cut my chest open. "Are you ashamed?"

Tears formed in my eyes as I nodded my head.

"Don't be." I blinked hard at his words. "It's making you stronger."

I laughed hoarsely. "Okay, you are seriously fucking insane dude."

"Am I?" He asked, tilting his head in thought. "Maybe so, but you have potential. Potential to achieve so much more power."

I shook my head. "I don't understand. What do you want from me?"

"I want to help you access your other powers."

His serious look makes me wheeze out a laugh. "What other powers? You obviously saw what I did at the lake."

Anger flashes in his eyes for a brief second before returning back to their smoky hue. "The powers your parents are keeping hidden from you."

I reeled back. "What? Who the hell do you seriously think you are?"

"Demetrius."

"Okay, and?" I drag out, confused as all hell.

He straightened as he walked towards the outer perimeter of the room. "You're not dangerous, Maeve."

I stayed silent because what the hell was that subject change?

"However." The change in tone makes me snap to attention. His eyes met mine as he brought a small globe towards me. "Your sister is."

"And what's that supposed to mean?" Warning bells were going off left and right, but I couldn't understand why.

"It means...she's going to cause the most destruction this world has ever seen. Her powers are manifesting at a high rate. Now, that might not mean a whole lot to you, but trust me when I say, there will be catastrophic consequences."