Chapter 23

Harley's POV

That girl is driving me absolutely crazy. I hate her. Or at least that's what I tell myself. I can't stop the uncomfortable feeling in my stomach when I think about her storming out of class yesterday. That's called worry, dumbass, my inner thoughts added unhelpfully. The tears streaming down her cheeks struck harder than I'd like to admit.

I couldn't even force myself to go to class just to see an empty seat in her place. I'm an asshole, I haven't even spoken to her after all the things that I said in that shed. I didn't realize how much hurt and anger she actually felt towards me. She practically told me that she was into me and I told her I shouldn't want her because she's not my mate.

Why is the idea of waiting for my mate suddenly not seem that important? Who's to say that she would wait for me? I should just tell Maeve how I feel, I think she would understand. But how could I tell her when it's obvious that she's hooking up with other guys? Would she drop them for me? A big part of me didn't think so.

And now here I am sitting in this small fucking treehouse, looking like a lost puppy. My wings can't even find the strength to hold themselves up. Well, a lost puppy is a little unrealistic. I look more like a drowned bird.

I don't know what to do. I've texted her three times which doesn't sound like much, but it is for me. I never use my phone unless it's for schoolwork or to talk to my parents, which has been exactly two times since I started Nightwood Academy two years ago.

I sigh, laying back onto the splintered wood floor of the treehouse. I try hard not to think about them too much, or how the hurt of their betrayal still feels like a brand against my heart.

I've always wondered what it felt like to be in a loving family. One where both parents are present mentally and physically. Of course, they loved me, albeit in their own way. But I just want to know what it feels like to be held, to look at someone and know that you are their whole world.

I remember the good days with my parents. The days where they didn't care about supernatural norms. Days where they said, fuck it, who cares if our kinds are sworn, enemies. Because it's love. Or was, I guess.

Who even knows now. I don't think my parents have talked since I was twelve-years-old. What makes it worse is that I never got a say in the matter. I haven't seen either of my parents in four years. Do you know what the problem is with mixing an angel and a demon? You get a hybrid child, which is perfectly normal in the supernatural world. However, with me, I will never be accepted in Heaven nor Hell.

I shake my head, rubbing my hands down my face as I groan. I should be in class right now learning about poisonous potions while watching Daxon switch out Colt's ingredients. But instead, here I am having a pity party for myself.

I stand on tired legs, as I extend my wings out in a stretch. I'll wait on Maeve all day and night, and if she still hasn't returned, then I'll go out and find her, even if I have to use a witch to track her. I'm tired of watching on the sidelines while the other guys flirt with her. Because when she comes back, I'm planning on making her mine.

Daxon's POV

My leg bounces up and down as I glance around Professor Matthews' class. I glance down at my phone for the hundredth time since sending the last text message. Where is she?

My gaze meets Caspian's as he watches Maeve's empty seat, almost like he was expecting her to pop up any moment now. Harley didn't even bother showing up for class, whether it was because he was worried about Maeve or he just didn't want to do the pop quiz for today. And Colt seemed to not notice anything amiss like usual.