Chapter 25

Maeve's POV

I lay awake on my side, a heavyweight holding me down. I groan, peeling my eyes open before immediately shutting them at the light pouring in through the window. Why do I feel like shit? And why did Harley leave the blinds open after leaving for his morning flight?

My eyes split open as memories from last night come pouring in. Mates. I have mates...and they don't want me. Well, except...

My eyes slowly move down to see a muscular arm wrapped tightly around my waist. I suck in a much-needed breath as I turn my head around, spotting ruffled blonde hair. I exhale, letting my body relax as I realize that it's just Caspian.

Wait a fucking minute. I look around the room that I'm in, just now noticing that this was indeed, not my dorm room. I mean, the king-size bed really should have given it away, but hey, I was more distracted by the hunk of muscle currently spooning me.

I carefully extract myself from Caspian's arms, earning a growl as his arm searches for me in the bed. I place the pillow I slept on in his arms, which he immediately held onto, rubbing his face on its surface. It was pretty damn cute actually.

I quietly get to my feet, noticing that I am still in my dress from the night before. I exhale a sigh of relief. At least he didn't undress me, not that I would have minded if these were different circumstances.

I grab my phone which is currently charging on Caspian's side of the bed, and my heart melts at the sight. He really is the sweetest. I touch my lips, remembering the quick peck I gave him the night before.

I shake my head, looking at the time and realizing that I needed to go get ready for class. But as thoughts of seeing the guys go through my mind, I threw that idea out the window. I grab my heels sitting at the end of the bed and head to the door.

Eyes dart my way as I walk out of Caspian's dorm. I mean, it really does look like I'm doing the walk of shame. I laugh internally. I wish. But no, life does not want to treat me that well.

I cautiously open the door to my room before walking inside. I knew I should have double-checked if the room was empty before I came in, but usually, no one is still in here by this time.

Daxon looks up at me, standing up from his bunk. I feel my heart lodge in my throat as I take in Daxon's appearance. He was pale, his hair a mess, but it was his eyes that struck me...they were so heartbroken.

I quickly look away, going straight to the closet to grab my stuff. The silence in the room was deafening.

Daxon exhaled heavily. "Love." I flinch at the name. He only started calling me that after we had sex. He knew. "Can we talk?"

I shake my head before I could do something stupid like fall in his arms and let him take this heartache away. I felt the momentary sense of happiness from earlier slip away as dark thoughts swirl through my head.

"There's nothing to talk about," I mutter, not sparing him a glance because I knew, I knew I would take him back instantly. I walk myself out the door, heading to the showers to wallow in my own self-pity.

Luckily, the showers were already clearing out as classes were going to begin soon. Although I wasn't planning on going to class, much less in this dress, the thought of keeping it on makes me sick. I needed to shower. I needed to wash the memories of last night away.

I close the shower door, setting my toiletries and change of clothes aside as I slip the pair of heels off my feet. My bare feet even had dirt on them from walking through the woods. I grimace. I can't believe Caspian let me in his bed looking like this.