Chapter 20

Although today wasn't a scheduled day for Dr. Collins' class, I still had one of our biweekly meetings to attend. I was beyond sick of these already. Not once has anything occurred since the first meeting we had. I was beginning to lose my patience.

I walked into the empty classroom, looking around at the various artifacts and magical objects. This place looks like it should feel way creepier than it actually does. I mean, currently, I'm staring at a perfume bottle that looked to be worth millions. A powerful vampire had gifted it to his wife centuries ago. However, little did she know it was laced with basilisk venom.

I shuddered at the thought. I bet Colt would love that little story.

My eyes met with the looking glass and I frowned. I swear I think this thing is taunting me now. I even dream about that damn mirror. So many secrets lie beneath its surface.

"Oh! You're here early today," Dr. Collins' voice came from behind me, drawing me out of my morbid thoughts.

I shrugged. "I don't really have anything else to do. Plus, I was hoping you would let me leave earlier if I did."

He nodded his head and waved his hand dismissively. "That's fine. How about you go ahead and set up while I go run these to the back room."

I nodded my head, noticing his arms full of books. I waited until he had left this section of the room before turning back around to the mirror. "You better not waste my fucking time," I cursed it, which really just resulted in me cussing my reflection out.

I took a deep breath before looking down at its surface. I noticed the hickeys on my neck where the concealer rubbed off, making me grimace. Geez, I needed to be more self-aware next time. I can't go around looking like a damn hormonal teen...even if I kind of was one.

I concentrated on my reflection, letting the thoughts of sex slip through my mind as I gazed back at myself. I suddenly felt a sense of falling. I opened my mouth on a scream, but no noise came out. I calmed my breathing, trying not to panic like Dr. Collins instructed me on the first day. And then, the memory came...

"She's getting too strong, Roe," daddy Atticus said to mommy as she looked over at me in concern.

"We can help her. Nothing is going to happen," mommy insisted, tears welling up in her eyes. Why was mommy upset?

Atticus shook his head. "You know it's not the same as your situation. She had two sacrifices, not one. She could become a danger to herself."

I furrowed my brows. What are mommy and daddy talking about? My six-year-old self couldn't comprehend or understand what was happening. Sacrifice? What does that mean?

Mommy choked on a sob. "I know. You don't need to remind me, Tuck."

Daddy tucked mommy into his chest, holding her as she cried. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought it up."

Mommy shook her head. "I just wish something could have been done. I wish we could have noticed things before it was too late."

Daddy Atticus sighed. "There is absolutely nothing we could have done and you know that. We still have our little girl and our baby boy. Nothing is going to happen, Rose."

Mommy's tearful eyes met mine as she smiled weakly. "Hey, my little girl." She wiped the wetness from her cheeks and smiled. I almost believed it was real. "Don't listen to a thing we said. It's okay."

It's okay...but was it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------