Chapter 46

Harley's POV

I beat my wings harder, faster, trying with all my might to circle the academy grounds. My eyes were starting to deceive me, thinking every blonde head below was my girl. But I knew she wasn't here. Not on the main academy grounds at least.

My chest burned with the thought that we would never find her. The little time I had with her wasn't enough, I needed more. I shift my body, tunneling down to the clearing that the others were standing in.

"Well?" Colt grunted.

I shook my head. "I checked everywhere. She's not here."

Daxon ran his hand through his already mussed-up hair. "Fuck. What are we going to do?"

Caspian growled, his face still contorted in an angry feline scowl. "How did this happen? We should have been there."

"She would have found a way to ditch us and you know it, Cas," Daxon replied, but Caspian just shook his head.

"So? I would have tied myself to her side if I knew that this would happen!"

I rubbed my jaw, zoning the two shifters out as I thought over everything that has gone down in the past 24 hours. A dark shadow settled next to me, forcing me to slightly look up into Colt's slitted eyes, yellow pupils staring back at me.

"Got a plan, big bird?" He grunted as he tracked every movement around us.

I gave him a shrug as I looked at the dormitories across the schoolyard. "I think we should tell Olivia. She might know some secret bases that we could check out."

Another grunt of acknowledgment came from him before he started strolling across the grass, leaving me to follow him. I made sure the other two were close behind because Maeve would skin me alive if I lost them.

We silently made our way up to our shared dorm room, barging in without a knock, making Olivia scream.

She clutched her chest with wide eyes. "You guys can't do that shit! You do realize that I have an entire cult coming after me now, right?"

"She's gone," Colt said, getting right to the point.

Olivia's eyes looked between the four of us, realizing who was missing. "No," she whispered.

"Yes, now where can we find her, Olivia?" Daxon said, pushing through me and Colt to stand by her side with a pleading look.

She swallowed before saying with a shaky voice, "Have you all mated yet?"

Colt sneered. "Why the hell would you ask that?"

"No," Caspian quickly replied, pushing past Colt to stand near her as well.

Olivia cursed before pushing past all of us and rummaging through Maeve's things on her side of the room.

"Hey, what the hell do you think you're doing, siren?" Colt hissed, placing Maeve's things back where they belong.

Olivia gave Colt a hiss of her own, making him take a step back in surprise. "You better back the fuck up, snake boy. You had one job. One job!"

Colt looked downright terrified of the little siren standing in front of him. "And what's that?"

"To mate her, you idiot!" She said before rifling around in Maeve's bag, retrieving the old leather-bound book and flipping it open.

"What the hell are you going on about, Olivia?" Daxon asked as he leaned in to look at the book in her hands.

She sighed, flipping to a page and pointing. "Only the unmated can be used for the spell."

I furrowed my brows before leaning in to take a look at the weathered pages. "What are we looking at here?"