Chapter 43

I gasp as the knife retreats and a heaviness settles on my chest. I stare wide-eyed at Olivia whose eyes are filled with tears as she lets the knife clatter to the ground of the bathroom floor. A floor that is streaked with blood.

A sob tears through Olivia's throat as she pulls Willow off my chest. Willow's dead eyes look up at the ceiling, staring blankly into nothing.

"Maeve! Can you hear me?" Olivia asks as she shakes my body.

I look up at her in shock. "You didn't kill me."

Her body shook violently with sobs as she looks over at Willow's body and back at me. "Of course not. We're friends."

My own tears fell freely at her declaration. "I thought you were one of them," I said.

She picked up the knife as if she was afraid Willow would come back to life and kill her. Wait, she wouldn't right?

Olivia took my hand before pulling me up and looking down at the book with a sigh. "I told you to give that back or else one of us would get hurt."

I was about to ask her why she had the book in the first place before the bathroom door opened so fast, it embedded itself into the wall. I jumped as my mates stood in the open doorway, taking in the scene in front of them.

"Hey, guys-"

Olivia was yanked from my grip as Colt slammed her up against a wall. "Drop the damn knife."

Olivia screeched as the knife fell to the floor. Harley kicked it away with his boot as he checked Willow's pulse. "Not breathing."

"Let her down-" I started before Daxon and Caspian pulled me into their embrace, cutting off my words.

"Got anything to say before I kill you?" Colt asked in an icy tone.

Olivia opened and closed her mouth. "Uh, yeah. I'm innocent!"

Caspian frowned as if he wanted to believe her, so I quickly extracted myself from their death grip. "She's telling the truth." Colt ignored me so I stormed over. "Let her go, Colt!"

He frowned but released her. Olivia rubbed her throat. "Geez, how do you let him choke you in bed girl?"

A giggle popped out of my mouth making all of the guys look at me in concern. I looked down at Willow's body. Yeah, maybe now wasn't the time to laugh.

"Is someone going to explain what's going on?" Daxon asked with a raised brow as he nudged Willow's body as if to make sure she wasn't faking it. No, she's definitely dead.

I open my mouth to explain before frowning. "Uh, I actually have no idea." I look at Olivia who was cowering under the glares of my mates.

Harley taps on the book in my hand and recoils as if he can feel the magic pulsing from it. "What the hell is that?"

I give Olivia a pointed look because even I don't know what I'm holding. She bites her lip before looking at Willow on the floor with guilty eyes. "We should probably clean this up, like now. We don't want anyone to see this, or else things will progress faster than we want."

Well, that wasn't vague or ominous as fuck.

"Anyone got a clean-up crew on speed dial?" I joked as I really took in the mess we made.

Colt nodded once before taking out his cellphone. "On it."

I gaped at him. "I was joking."

He stopped typing in a phone number before looking at me with a scowl. "So do you not want me to call them?"