Chapter 18

"Why don't you shift?" I ask Daxon as he pulls on that sexy sleeveless shirt of his. The school gives everyone gym clothes, but of course, Daxon cuts the sleeves off to showcase just how much he actually works out.

He looked down at me, furrowing his dark red eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

I roll my eyes, following him in my own smaller matching uniform. "I mean, you never shift. I've never even seen your phoenix form."

Daxon sighed heavily. "It's not a pretty sight to see, Maevie. It takes a lot to control." He glances back over at me with a small smile. "I'll tell you more about it later, deal?"

I nodded my head. "It's a date."

Daxon stopped walking, looking over at me. I was practically beating the shit out of myself mentally before a huge grin took over his face. "It's a date."

"Alright class, huddle up," Coach Marsh yelled, saving me from my own embarrassment.

His endless rant on who scorched the field a week ago continues as my mind drifts off to my meeting with Dr. Collins. I was anxious for what else the mirror would show me, but...nothing happened this time. To say that I was frustrated is an understatement.

Caspian mentioned that the mirror shows you what it wants you to see. So why that memory from the first meeting? What does this all mean?

I was drawn out of my thoughts as a sickening scream reached my ears. I looked over seeing Daxon holding a fireball in his hand while one had already reached a werewolf shifter's clothes. My mouth gaped open at my usually gentle friend.

"Break it up!" Coach Marsh yelled, pulling Daxon away from Reid, the werewolf shifter.

Daxon's blazing green eyes met mine, his freckles even more prominent, while his hair was laced with flames. I'm going to totally ignore the fact that he looks psychotically hot right now.

"What the fuck just happened?" I asked Caspian who was standing next to me, while Coach Marsh cussed out Daxon and Reid.

There was no response, leaving me to look up at Caspian and blinking rapidly. Caspian's eyes were molten gold, his teeth elongated, and his nails lengthened into sharp points.

Okay, did I miss something? What the hell happened in the amount of time I spent daydreaming? I had never seen Caspian so pissed off before, let alone Daxon who had the deadliest look on his face, the polar opposite of his usual teasing attitude.

I glanced across the field seeing Colt's fist clenched and an approving look on his face. Harley was spread out on the ground, sunbathing his wings while smirking in Daxon's direction.

"Umm...care to explain what just happened?" I asked Daxon as he made his way back over to us. Reid was currently walking by us, sending me a wink with a dirty smirk as he made his way to the infirmary.

"Wolfie boy needed to watch his mouth," Daxon said, clenching his jaw.

I looked up at him in exasperation. "What is up with you guys? Since when did you care about what other people say?"

Daxon looked down at me with an unreadable expression. "I was just being hot-headed. I'm sorry you had to see me that way. It was nothing."

I wanted to believe that it really was nothing, but with the looks from the other guys, it was obvious that Reid had said something.

Instead of calling him out on the lie, I roll my eyes. "You boys act like such alpha assholes sometimes."

Daxon's hair lost its flames as a smirk appeared on his mouth. "Who, me? Caspian was over here acting like a raging pussy," he said winking.