Chapter 26

Caspian's POV

I blink at Maeve's abrupt exit. What the actual hell just happened? Because the girl that I just saw was the complete opposite of the person that I carried back to my dorm room last night.

I glanced around at the others who all had dumbfounded looks on their faces. I mean, I wasn't even expecting her to show up for class, let alone laugh at us arguing. My eyes zero in on Colt as the tension racks up a notch.

"If you don't want to be with her, fine. But don't you dare for one fucking second think you can put her down.," I said through gritted teeth before pointing a finger at Harley. "You two are cowards. You don't deserve her."

I exited the room with a grinning Daxon next to me. "I sort of like this alpha side of you," Daxon said, slinging an arm around my shoulder.

I huff out a semi-bitter laugh. "I'm not an alpha, Dax, you know that."

Daxon's smile faltered before he nudged my head with his. "Well, I'm proud of you for standing up for our girl," he said, although I could hear the slight sadness in his tone. Because truth be told, Maeve still hasn't said anything to him about what happened last night, and I know that it's killing him.

"Did she seem...strange to you?" I asked, worrying my bottom lip between my teeth. The whole situation just seemed so bizarre. I know Maeve is a tough girl, but I really didn't expect her to have such an "I don't give a fuck" attitude, at least not after that shit show last night.

Daxon also seemed to be thinking the same thing as he nodded his head. "I could see something in her eyes. They weren't that piercing shade of blue anymore."

I raised a brow at that. "Piercing shade of blue? What the fuck does that mean?"

He sent me a half-hearted glare. "It means I must be watching too many rom coms with Maeve." He waved a dismissive hand before continuing. "Her eyes looked hazy."

"She does like marijuana," I point out, but Daxon just waves it off.

"Cas, I smoke a lot of weed. And I've smoked a lot of weed with Maeve. And that was definitely not the eyes of someone who's high off Mary Jane."

I roll my eyes, getting impatient at this conversation. "So, what?"

Daxon tapped his chin as if showing he was thinking long and hard on the situation. "So, that means she's taking something else. Because no one sane acts that carefree and unaffected at the fact that one of her mates openly admitted that he wanted to sever the bond."

I considered what he said before sighing. "I'll find and talk it out with her." I glance at Daxon before suggesting. "Maybe you could also come with?"

Daxon's eyes lit up before he grimaced. "I don't think she would like that. I'd just make things worse."

My heart hurt at his words, and it had nothing to do with a mating bond. I loved Daxon like a brother, he's been there for me through everything. Through every fucked up incident regarding my family and especially my sister...

I shake my head from those thoughts. "I'll let you know how it goes," I replied, giving Daxon a smile and a pat on the back before splitting off into the opposite direction.

I didn't know exactly where she had run off to, but I had a feeling I could intercept her before she went to her next class. She more than likely forgot her gym clothes after her run-in with Daxon this morning, so hopefully, I'll be able to find her by then.

I make my way towards the dorm rooms before I'm tackled to the ground. My nails lengthen, ready to shred whoever attacked me. That is until I smell sunflowers and strawberries. My body relaxes under the weight of my mate.