13 Arena

I woke up screaming. Today was the day. No wonder I had nightmares. Arms make their way around my body. My breathing is fast and my eyes are wide staring at the wall in front of me. Finn pulls me to his now sitting body and puts his face in my hair while whispering comforting and happy thoughts. He rubs circles into my back and helps calm my breathing. I turn to face him and grip onto his arms with tight hands. The only thing running through my mind was I can't lose Finnick. I can't lose finnick. I looked at him with panicked eyes and grip onto his bare arms for dear life, my whole body was shaking. I can't lose Finnick. He clearly understands my fear and pulls my face to his chest holding me tightly. I hear him release a shaky breath.

"You're okay. Im okay. You won't lose me. I will not let us be separated. Never Ryne. Please breathe. We are okay. I need you to breathe." He pleads into my hair in a calm voice.

"Okay. Just hold me." I respond and his grip tightens.

"Always." He mumbles and I bury my face into his chest. He leans back so we are laying down again and this time I am top of him. My arms around his neck and one of his arms on my waist as the other strokes through my hair to keep me calm.

Before we can even calm down enough to fall asleep someone opens our door.

"I'm so sorry. It's time." Coral says in a sincere tone for the first time ever as she peers in at the two of us holding each other.

"You heard her love." Finn whispers into my ear and I nod with my face buried in his chest.

"I'll see you later." I say getting off of him and leaving the room refusing to look back. If I look back I may never leave. I had to go.

Lincoln found me in my room with my back to the wall on the floor. My knees were pulled into my chest.

"I know the arena is scary. I'm so sorry this is happening to you." Lincoln states leaning on the doorway holding my training outfit that we have to wear to the hovercraft.

"I'm not scared of the arena. I'm not scared of the killing. I'm not scared of the games. I'm ready for all of that. What I'm not ready for is the possibility of losing the love of my in that fucking arena." I say real fast.

"Love of your life huh?" Lincoln says raising an eyebrow and entering the room. He places the uniform at my feet and then sits on the end of the bed.

"Well....no, i meant....god it doesnt fucking matter. Yes the love of my life. I love Finn so much and he will never know. I may lose him Lincoln." I say pitting my head in my hands.

"You could tell him." He suggests and I look at him like he has 27 heads.

"Ya, sure. Let me just tell the man I love that I love him when he is in love with someone else. Let me ruin our friendship when I may only have a few more hours with him." I raise my voice slightly.

"How do you know he is in love with someone else." He states as if hinting at something.

"I'm pretty sure that message.....was for Annie." I bluntly respond looking at my feet. "I need to get ready. If you say any of this to anyone I will kill you Lincoln. Without a second though I will slaughter you." I grab the clothes from the floor angrily and walk to the bathroom.

"You are something else Ryne Ogeron." He says with a laugh as I close the bathroom door.

The hovercraft was always my least favorite part of this whole thing. You had to sit in a tight space with the people you had to kill only minutes before the arena. For my first games I was so uncomfortable. The careers would not stop giving everyone death glares and Brayden was seated next to me tapping his leg nervously the whole time. It was not a fond memory.