7 Quarter Quell

President Snow was to make an announcement for the quarter quell today. My stomach has been a mess all day. This time of year is always a shitty time but now more than normal. The tributes picked for this year would have a harder time than ever before. The Gamemakers and Snow always find a way to make each Quarter Quell worse than the last. I can only hope they won't pull another 12 year old for us to mentor. It was a literal nightmare for me last year.

I am a 23 year old Victor now. It has officially been 8 years since my games. Finnick is 24 and his games were 10 years ago. It's crazy to think I am in my 8th year of knowing Finn and my 8th year of being secretly in love with him. Johanna seems to be the only one who knows. Or so I thought. Jo is always complaining of how we are in love with each other and should just man up and admit it to each other but I always laugh. There is no way that Finn would ever feel that way about me. So I let yet another year pass of me wanting to be with Finn. The day of the Quell announcement makes all emotions escalate to a whole nother level. My anxiety is through the roof. My fear is becoming more and more present. I want to be in Finns arms more than anything. I want to hide and never show my face again. I know I'm not in the games but something about a Quell just puts everything on edge. This year's games are going to be hell. I can just feel it.

"Finn! They are going to make the announcement in the square any minute, let's go!" I yell upstairs and I see a stressed Finnick walk down the stairs and make his way over to me. He observes my features and I know he is upset that I am stressed. He never likes seeing me stressed or anxious. I could say the same for him. He has a way to hide his emotions but I can always read him and it makes me want to kill snow when I know he is the source for all of our problems.

"Everything is going to be fine, love. Lets go yeah?" He says and I nod before grabbing his arms and following him out the door.

This year it is a required announcement. The citizens of the district are required to meet in the square to listen to the Quell, however the victors are allowed to stay in the village. I like to feel like I am part of the district at least a little so I insisted that Finn and I join the rest of the people in the square for the announcement. As we walk I feel Finn squeeze my arm in an attempt to comfort me.

Around the time of the games I normally get more looks than normal. I was known as the Killer Queen in the Capital because of the number of tributes I killed and my want to kill toward the end. I am not the biggest fan of my nickname because of the memories associated with it. It makes me nauseous.

As we reach the square I think back to the other two female victors. Annie and Mags are both sitting anxiously on Mags' couch awaiting for their television to turn on. I wish they would come with us out here for the announcement but I know Annie would never unless against her will. Ron is probably sitting on his couch with a beer without a worry in the world. He has always managed to be the one who doesn't care when it comes to stressful situations.

"What do you think it's going to be?" I whisper in Finns direction as more people file into the square. We are currently closer to the edge of the crowd but we are still surrounded by the people of 4. I could feel the uncertainty in the air as others whisper amongst themselves.

"Who knows love. It could be anything." He says into my ear. Finnick stands behind me, his chest pressed up against my back. His arms are draped over my shoulders, his hands meeting together on my chest. His chin is placed on my head and I feel comforted in Finn's arms. I hear his ragged breathing and I know he is stressed as well. I grab his clasped hands on my chest and wrap my hands around them giving them a slight squeeze. Many looked our way getting a glimpse of the close victors and everyone knew that we were each other's protectors.