1 First Reaping

The Reaping of the 67th

I awake with a start. Today is the day, the day of the reaping. It's officially my fourth reaping and something tells me I won't be so lucky this time. My little sister is safe from the reaping for two more years, two more years of peace.

In district 4, we sometimes have career volunteers, however it's been awhile since the last volunteer. Our last victor is the capital's favorite, Finnick Odair from the 65th games. I see him from time to time in passing in the market spaces or sitting on the beach alone. I never dared to engage in any communication, after all he is a16 year old victor and I'm a 15 year old poor fisher. We live different lives in different worlds. He is safe, or as safe as a victor can be, and I have 8 slips of paper with Ryne Ogeron typed on them in a big fishbowl on a stage. If my name is selected, I'm essentially saying goodbye to everything I have ever known, it's a death sentence. I could make it back if I care enough, but I don't know how I will feel until my name is called, which I hope that day never comes.

I sit up from my small twin sized bed and glance to the other person sleeping in the room. Rose, my 10 year old sister sleeps with no worries of what is to come in the next few hours. I don't think she truly understands what the Hunger Games are if i'm being honest. My parents have tried to keep her away from the broadcasts as much as possible, no 10 year old should have to watch the capital parade around 24 children like pieces of meat then throw them in an arena to kill each other. Sadly, I am very aware of the games and the consequences that come with being reaped into them. I had nightmares last night, of all the ways I could die if I'm reaped today. It's definitely not a pleasant feeling to know that your government finds pleasure in the suffering of its district citizens. Like I said before, we sometimes have careers but im no career. I never found the idea of training to volunteer for these death games intriguing even in the slightest. If I'm reaped I only have my knife and trident training from my father to go off of. I must say, I'm very skilled with the trident, but killing another human being with one I'm not so sure of. I guess one never truly knows how far they are willing to go to get home until they are put in that position to either kill or be killed.

I hop out of bed and comb through my hair with my fingers. I place my brown curly locks into a fishtail braid and then make my way over to Rose. Glancing over her features she looks so peaceful, as if nothing can possibly harm her. Which is true unlike me. I tap her shoulder and sit on the bed to wake her up.

"Rose, it's time to get up. The reaping is soon." I whisper into her ear. She moves around a little coming out of whatever innocent dream she was experiencing. She smiles with her eyes still closed and stretches her arms above her head.

"Ryne, why do I have to go?" She asks, clearly wanting to go back to sleep.

"It's required, you know that. Get up." I say hitting her arm playfully and standing from her bed and making my way over to our small shared closet. I pull out both of our nicest outfits and lay them on each of our beds. I see Rose has finally stood up and she walks over to me and gives me a hug from behind. I grab her hands in my own and close my eyes. This could be the last day I see her.

"Why don't you get dressed and meet me in the kitchen with mom and dad." I say and I can feel her nod her head into my back and I smile and release her hands. I watch as she walks back to her picked outfit and she brushes her hands over the clean fabric before changing out of her nighties.

I quickly pull the green dress over my head and make my way to our small kitchen. Mom and dad are already sitting at the table with their heads in their hands. They are stressed, it's always like this on the morning of the reaping, no family feels safe knowing one of their own could be taken to their death. Once I reach them I place my hands on their shoulders and they look up giving me sad smiles.