2 Mentoring

I take a look around and see the luxurious furniture that fills this car. There are small tables throughout the car that hold silver platters and fixtures that are covered in expensive capital foods. I have never seen anything like it but I try to hide my awe, afterall my awe is clouded with disgust. I hear the train door slide open again a few minutes later and I see the victors tumble in, these are the people that hold my life in their hands as mentors.

"Did you say your goodbyes?" The older man with stubble asks me with a look of confusion. He looks to be middle aged and seems to have given up on his outward appearance, as he is wearing old slacks and a loose sweater that has a stretched neckline.

"Nope." I simply say then turn away from them again as I inspect the thin velvet carpet under my tan shoes. Tan shoes. The ones my mother loves. I can feel the blisters forming on my heels with every movement of my feet yet it's comforting in a way knowing I can still feel something.

"Okay, Well i'm Ron, and this is Mags." He says and with my back still to them I nod my head slowly. I feel all their eyes staring into my back like I am under a microscope and I hate it. I turn to face them and raise my eyebrows as if to say 'what's next'.

"Im Finnick, Finnick Odair." The tan dirty blonde says with a smirk and I roll my eyes at this then go to sit down at the dining table. There is no doubt that Finnick is one of the most handsome people I have ever seen, but I can't let him influence me in any way. I have bigger problems at the moment and one of them is to survive the next few days. I sat in silence and waited for the door to open and for Brayden to come into the train. The plates on the table are white ceramic and look like they could break if they are picked up the wrong way. The thin plates sit on woven placemats that are also the home of many different utensils I honestly don't know how to use. There is no need for 4 different forks and 3 different knives. Still feeling all the eyes on me, I try to grasp the fact that I may never step foot in 4 again. My mom, my dad, my sister, my everything is being left behind. I close my eyes for a short few seconds and keep my breath steady until I hear the door open. Brayden comes through the doors and he looks flustered. I immediately stand and look at him. He appears weak in front of me for the first time since I have known him. He normally stands tall and confident in the market, you have to unless you want to be robbed by one the street walkers. He normally wears a polite smile on his face to draw customers and has a certain gentleness to his posture. Now he seems hunched over slightly like a weight has been placed on his shoulders and his face is droopy as if he just woke up from a long deep sleep. He reminds me of my sister Rose when my dad scolds her for something childish. It's a sad sight, because between the two of us, he would be the one assumed to remain strong and unbothered yet I happen to obtain that role in this moment.

"Brayden." I state and he looks at me. I was not expecting him to say anything in return but he walks up to me and hugs me. I remain stiff, unsure of how to respond. The only people who have ever hugged me before are my family. He lets go of me and places a hand on my shoulder. I give him a blank stare yet my face has become less stiff since he walked into the train car.

"Ryne." He smiles at me and I offer a small barely visible smile. It immediately disappears from my face. "That was quite the slap out there Ryne." Brayden adds in an attempt at a joke and I almost laugh remembering the poor girl I hit.

"She fucking deserved it. Well maybe she didn't but whatever." I say trailing off in response and I turn to face my now mentors. They all look at the two of us with amused faces. Finally Mags gestures to the dining table and we all take a seat. I stare at the empty white plate in front of me and space out. I can feel eyes on me once again and I look up and meet Finnicks green eyes. He has been staring at me for who knows how long. We stare at each other for a few seconds and he finally breaks the eye contact turning to Ron. Coral comes in and I immediately tense up at the sound of her heels. My jaw clenches and I feel anger and disgust crawl into me once again. How could someone be so oblivious to the pain and terror of the games. How can someone be so excited to send children to their death. How can someone be so fucking stupid and brainwashed?