One

Wow! Could this school be more intimidating? I don't think so. All I could hear was the sounds of students chatting with their friends about the summer vacation that just ended while I walked around staring at the ground. I turned around to see my best friends running towards me, they catch up to me pretty easily since they were on the track team at our old school. Mary and Audrey never stopped training this summer to achieve their goal; making the school track team, then getting a scholarship to a university in California. Which made me spend the entire summer alone, well almost alone, I had Katy, but then she left to go to her cabin near the beach for a whole month. So I spent a ton of time staring at my neighbour through my bedroom window, he waved at me a couple of time. I think he was only doing it by fear and not by politeness. He's a year old than me, so we go to the same school now.

"You know Chloe maybe if you looked where you were going we would finally be able to go to the gym and get our schedule."

    My head snapped up when I heard Katy say that. I ran into her arms giving her a hug like there was no tomorrow. She kinda looked scared for a second but quickly hugged me back. Mary and Audrey joined us soon after and we stayed there for a while, not noticing the fact that students were going in and out of the common room on their way to class. The bell rang announcing that first period was starting soon. We ran to the gym to get our schedule and went to first class. I was lucky since I had it with Mary. We walk in class, and the teacher gave us a dirty look saying that it was not going to be a good year if this happened regularly. This was a great way to start the school year. My homeroom teacher already hated me and I wasn't even sitting close to Mary, she was assigned a seat next to some kid named John or whatever. For my part, I was assigned a seat next to a wanna be girl. She was chewing gum like her life depended on it. I kept myself from laughing, I didn't need another enemy in this school. I was already known as the girl who stole Sadie's boyfriend.

    Sadie and I were best friends in elementary school and then middle school came in the picture. She became popular and I didn't, her boyfriend Max, the hottest guy in school, asked me out I said yes not knowing it was a dare and that he was dating Sadie. After that it was total humiliation. I was called a boyfriend stealer the whole year. That's when I meet Mary, Audrey and Katy, they didn't care for what I did or didn't do, they loved me for me. Then next year came around and Max changed schools, so I thought that with his departure all of the name calling would stop, it did, for a while. Nobody knew who I was, and I was fine with that. I had my three best friends by my side, everything was good. That's until my English teacher made me do some partner work with none other than my ex-best friend, Sadie. Obviously she started calling me a boyfriend stealer at her advantage again, the name kinda got away with time but I still hear it here and there.

    As I finally got out of my thoughts, I heard the bell ring. I found out that the name of the wanna be girl is Melanie, when she got up to go see her friends she kinda looked like a duckling trying to run, it was not a pretty view.

    I joined Mary at her desk she was still talking to that guy. I cleared my throat to let her know I was there. She turned to face me with big eyes, they kinda told me to go away, but I didn't. I waited for her to finish her conversation then we went to go see Katy and Audrey. They were already in the common room waiting for us. As we got there the principal of the school made an announcement that all students must come to the gymnasium immediately. Everybody was nervous because apparently this school only had gathering when it was a big news.

    While my friends and I walked along all of the other students, I bumped into someone. As I look up, I feel my cheeks turning red, it was my neighbour. I couldn't move, I was so embarrassed, he gave me a little "hi" with his head. He moved me by my hips since I didn't move out of his way. I look at my friends who were about to burst out laughing. I hit them in a joke full way and we made our way to the gym. As we walked in the gymnasium, Sadie was there. It was almost like she was waiting for us to arrive. Obviously she wasn't, she couldn't care less about us. We kinda made eye contact but broke it off immediately. Every time we looked at each other, I couldn't help but feel a sensation of guilt. I knew I didn't do anything but we kinda left things on a rough note and it was literally haunting me. I decided this was the time to finally go talk to Sadie and patch things up, but as I started walking up to her, Alex appeared out of nowhere and they started hugging each other. Are they dating? I go back to my friends, and we sat down at one of the tables in front of the stage.

"Did you guys see Sadie and my neighbour? They were all close and in each other businesses. Are they dating?" I asked

"Yes, they actually got together over the summer." said Audrey

    As she said that the principal of the school makes her entrance on the stage, the only clapping were from teachers. There was someone next to her that I didn't know, I didn't see them during last year's visit of the school. Maybe they got hired this summer? I had no idea. That was not important right now, all I wanted to know was what the announcement was about. The teachers start to shush everyone, after a while the gym was quiet, you could quite literally hear a penny drop. When the principal finished talking some students began to whisper in between each other you could hear some "What does this mean?" "What is going to happen?" "This can't be true. Can it?" Audrey, Mary, Katy and I all looked at each other confused with a bit of uncertainty on what was going to happen...