Fourteen

The rest of the day flew by. I told Alex that I would meet him at his dorm after my detention. I got to detention at around 4:30 pm. I entered the brown door way and sat in a random seat. Nick came in a bit later, he was in the library for a science projet. He sat next to me in the back of the classroom and went on his phone.

"Nick!" I whisper-yell.

"Chloe!" He said mimicking me.

"You can't be on your phone in the middle of detention!"

"It's your first time in detention isn't it?" He said smirking.

"Well yes I don't usually go around and do bad stuff around the school like you!"

"Ok well let me tell you how it works. That teacher over there." He said pointing to the teacher sitting at the front of the class. "That's Mr. Smith, he always has his nose in a book. He doesn't pay attention." He looked around at all the students in the room then looked at me. "Then in a couple of minutes Miss Freeman is gonna come in and start writing on this green chalkboard what we are supposed to be doing during this time, which is always our homework" he said pointing at the green board on the opposite side of the room.

    Just like he said, a lady with brown curly hair and a purple dress came in and started writing all the homework for each class. She stayed a couple of minutes just standing there looking at us. Nick did the work while she was in the room then stopped as soon as she left.

    It was now 5:20 pm and I just finished all my work for the day and I started reading a book. It was about two people who wrote each other letters back and forth just to discover that they were actually mortal enemies, a classic. I didn't dare to take Austin diary out in front of a bunch of students. I didn't want to humiliate him, he still has a pretty big ego.

    It was now 6 pm and detention was over. I made my way to Alex's dorm and knock on the big brown door. He opened it and let me in his dormitory. His roommate were all out and about so it was just him and I.

    We went in the living room and sat on the green couch in the corner. I was a bit nervous at the fact that, you know, he as feelings for me and I just got out of a relationship. I looked around while he went and got a glass of water. The white walls surrounding me made me remember my parents room back at my old house. When I was younger I used to go sleep with them when I had nightmares. I simply smiled and turned to the picture frame next to me. The gold corners and the silver lining, there are four boys huddled in a corner looking right at me. I can recognize all of them. Alex, Mark, William and Austin.

"You used to play rugby?" I said to Alex while showing him the picture.

"Yea with the city's team, but I had to quite because of a injury." He said lifting his red pants, showing the scars on his ankle. "But I'm actually thinking of joining the school's team again next year."

"Why wait till next year, I heard they were looking for a other player?"

"Of course they are. It's like in the movies, as soon as you're ready to play again, there's a sudden opening!" We laugh at his comment.

"I'm serious you should talk to the coach."

"Maybe, we'll see." He sad with a soft smile.

    He sat down next to me and put his hand on my knee. I awkwardly push it off and asked him what he wanted to tell me.

"Well first of all, I just wanted to sincerely apologize. I know it wasn't my place to tell you that he cheated on you, but I did." He said taking a sip of water. "And since I know you're the 'lets make him jealous' type, I thought that maybe you and I should pretend to be a couple to make him jealous." He said looking right at in my eyes.

"I don't know Alex, these things never end well. One of us is gonna end up catching real feelings and-"stopped myself. One of us already caught feelings. "It's going to end up with one of us being hurt, and I don't want that to happen."

"Look, it's your decision whether you wanna do this or not. Just know that the offer is still gonna be open."

    I smiled at him and walk out the dormitory. As I walk out I see Austin and Sadie holding hands. It took all of my patience to make me not go up to him and punch both of them in the face. I thought about it and walked in Alex's dorm again.

"Let's do it." I say closing the door behind me. "But, we have to make a contract." Making my way to the living room I slipped on a sock and fell right on my butt.

"I can get up myself, thank you very much." I said as I tap away his hands. He is still laughing, laughing so much he is now bend in half holding his stomach. "Stop laughing at me!" I say laughing at myself.

"Sorry, sorry" he said calming down. "So you want to make a contact... on our fake relationship?" He said holding in a laugh.

"Yes. To prevent one of us from getting emotionally involved or hurt." I took out a piece of paper and a pencil I had in my bag and started writing.

"So the first rule should be no kissing." I say already writing it down.

"What that so stupid." I gave him a dirty look and he shrunk into the couch. "A stupidly smart idea." He said fake smiling. "Ok well if we can't kiss, we should be able to hold hands."

"Yes, but only in public." I say correcting him.

    We finished the contact and both signed it. I know I was going a bit far with it but I wanted to make sure my best friends doesn't get hurt in the process of our fake relationship. We end up with these ground rules:
    1- No kissing or PDA (public display of affection)
    2-Holding hands, but only in public
    3-We will watch one movie every week
    4- We will review the contract every week
    5- We always sit together during lunch and break hours
    6-We tell no one that this relationship is fake