| 4 |

disclaimer: good morning to everyone except for the doctor who couldn't give derek a ct scan :)

-

"Wait for me!" I yelled over at Derek and sped up to catch him. He turned around and smiled, holding two coffees in his hands.

"Coffee - Derek you are a lifesaver." I tried to grab the other coffee he was holding, but there moved away from his hand.

"Hey, that's mine!" he shouted and started walking across the street as I followed him.

"Two coffees, you know how unhealthy is that?" I once again moved my hand to take one of the coffees away from him, but once again was unsuccessful.

"It's been a little crazy, need the extra energy, you can buy your own coffee in the hospital." Derek sighed and I could see by his eyes that he was truly exhausted.

"Late night, huh?" I asked, raising a suspicious eyebrow at him. "How is Meredith, by the way?" I chuckled, hitting his shoulder lightly as he laughed along.

"I wouldn't know." he hung his head low as if Meredith was now the last thought in his head. "She's not exactly bent on going out with me," Derek explained as I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Uh - read the room, this is Malia Grey, her big sister." I waved my hand, making him laugh lightly. "And dating her is not happening."

Derek was about to reply to me but then he noticed someone, making me notice the person too.

"Hello, Dr. Bailey!" Derek spoke lightly, greeting the dark-skinned doctor with a small smile, which she did not return as she was deep in thoughts.

"Shut up." she shut us up as we stared at her, surprised at her harsh words. "There is something I've forgotten, I just can't put my finger on it-" Bailey mumbled, not taking her eyes off of the busy street of cars in front of her.

The light on the headlights turned green, and leaving Bailey alone to her thoughts, Derek and I were ready to march towards the crosswalk, and as we were about to do so, tons of cyclists came out of nowhere, dashing towards the people on the street, no matter who's there. Derek pulled me against him, saving me from almost being run over.

We stayed like this until all had fuss had quieted down. I wasn't sure who was holding who, but both of us had almost had a heart attack.

-

"That was a close brush with death." I whispered more to myself than anyone else, as I entered the intern changing rooms and went to find Meredith, who was now removing her shoes while listening to something George O'Malley, an intern in Meredith's year, was talking about.