| 32 |

Disclaimer: if I owned Greys I would have already given you a merder kiss in S17, so no. I do not own Grey's Anatomy.

Btw I haven't edited this chapter, sorry...

"Never feel guilty for protecting your own heart

"Never feel guilty for protecting your own heart."
-

"Good morning." I turned around and smiled at the sleepy Scarlett that had just walked into the kitchen. "You were asleep when you were dropped off, but your grandmother said they have to do something today and they have nowhere to take you," I explained to Scarlett as I saw her confused face when she saw me.

It wasn't as if I wasn't happy to see that the child was still breathing, but I would have been more pleased if the grandmother had called before bargaining in the middle of the night.

Thankfully for me, I had just gotten back from my night shift and I was still up.

"Good morning, Malia." her sweet voice sang as a big wash of happiness came over her face. "What are we eating?" was the thing she said after as she hopped in one of the kitchen chairs.

"Easy tiger, I still have to make us breakfast without burning the house down." I chuckled and she did the same. "So, I know you don't like this talk, but is everything fine at home?" I knew that Scarlett could simply lie to me, but I decided to go down that road anyway.

"I-it's okay, mother is getting ready for some big day, at least, she told me that," mumbled Scarlett. "She's been busy, we've been busy."

"What does that mean?" I furrowed.

"Well, this one day, I think like a month or two ago, she came into my room and said that we're going away on holiday," explained Scarlett. "When we got back, she said about another one, and then I think something happened with her job, and now-...this big day." it was clear that Scarlett was confused about her mother's doings. "She's being in this rush, spending money, trying to do every single thing in the world."

I saw the hurt in Scarlett's eyes when she talked. It was clear that she had little attention from her mother or even none, and I knew it was the worst feeling in the world. "Let's eat, kid."

As she dug in, I saw that her mood over the oatmeal and strawberries hadn't changed. "Hey, how about you come with me to work today, we'll check up on some patients, you will be able to watch me perform a surgery, huh, how does that sound for fun."

Scarlett's eyes immediately shot up, she smiled and started to nod her head.

I laughed.

-

"Morning Malia, child." Meredith looked up from her knitting.