| 38 |

Disclaimer: it all belongs to the queen Shonda. As much as she killed me with this show, she's still a queen.

A/N: a bonus chapter.

"You feel more like home than anywhere I've ever been

"You feel more like home than anywhere I've ever been."
-•-

I opened the doors to my house and allowed an almost sleeping Scarlett to enter first. I knew what I had to do, and I knew I had to do it now. It couldn't wait anymore.

"Hey, Scar don't go to sleep yet. I need a quick chat with you!" I called after her as I saw her ready to go upstairs. With a big groan, she went back and sat down on the couch.

I walked over to the kitchen and poured her some water, knowing that she'll need it.

I walked back to the room, sat the water down on the little table in front of the couch, and kneeled down in front of Scarlett. "When I tell you this, I want you to breathe and sip some water, alright?" I took a deep breath.

"Now you're scaring me." panicked Scarlett and took the glass in her hands.

"Scar-..your mom left me a letter, she said-...your mom is dead, Scarlett." I could feel my eyes watering as I looked up to see her shocked expression.

"W-what do y-you mean?" she trembled over her words, not understanding the situation at hand.

"She was diagnosed with breast cancer a few months ago. That's why she was traveling, getting ready for the big day, and other stuff. She was trying to escape her illness, people attend to do that." I tried to explain, my own voice trembling as I talked. "Uh-..when she finally faced it, it was too late.-...she gave me these papers, they were-"

"Adoption papers." I saw that Scarlett was staring at the wall straight ahead of her. She wasn't even crying, she was just staring.

"Yes, adoption papers. She wanted you to have the best chance at life, she thinks you can get that from me." I put my hand on her hand.

She looked down at me, her eyes filled with tears but she wasn't letting them fall. "What do you think?" is what she asked.

If she had asked me hours ago, I would have said that I still needed time to think about my decision, but now it was clear to me, it was clear that this little girl needed the happiness she deserved, that she needed the love and support, that she needed a protector that would die protecting her.

"I'm going to tell you one thing I and my sister always said to one another." I glanced up at the red-headed girl. "Family first, no matter what, always and forever." I saw her smile up a bit.

"Scarlett, you are the little light I see at the end of the tunnel, you are what got me through a rough time, you are the person that brought me joy, happiness, love." I stared into her eyes. "You may not be my blood, but you are my family, and you are part of the always and forever." with another small smile from her she pulled her arms around my neck and hugged me tightly. I held her there until I knew that she had already fallen asleep.

I carried her bride style up to my room and carefully put her down in the middle of my bed. After kissing her on the cheek goodbye, I left downstairs and immediately pulled out the adoption papers from my bag.

I took a pen I found in one of my empty drawers, and sat down at the kitchen table. I read over them and with no looking back signed my signature. After putting them inside a letter, I closed it, put a stamp on it, and left to mail it to the address Gabriela had given to me in the letter she wrote.

There was no going back now.

-•-

a/n: hey guys, how did you like the bonus chapter?
this is not a part from season 3 tho.

Qotd: your fav character from this story?

Aotd: overall Lexie is my favourite character, but if I have to say from this story, Imma say Scarlett.