Chapter 19: The Date

haruka ishiwaka' point of view

Today is a Saturday. The day after we won the Miyagi Prefecturals. We have a week before the Nationals. We could either be training right now or finishing up overdue assignments given during the matches we had. I was doing neither which is making me groan. I was in dorm-arrest, or at least that's what I like to call it.

Coach Toshiro and Coach Saito, being the best-est coaches ever, gave us the weekend off to spend it with family or just to simply rest and replenish. I could have gone home to Tokyo with Tsutomu but due to my injured ankle I can't even move properly. Thankfully, my parents understood since we will eventually go to Tokyo in a week for the Nationals. Did I also mentioned that the boy's team won as well? They won against Aoba Johsai or Seijoh. Tōru was heartbroken to lost once again against Ushijima but If I know Tōru well, I know he'll take the loss as an adult and just improve. Like how he always is.

If you remembered, I had sprained my ankle badly during that last point. I looked at my heavily swollen ankle and I groaned again. It hurts so much that even just a slight movement will cause me pain. I didn't even know how I managed pushed myself to make that last set and also go back to the court.

Right now I was alone in my dorm up until Sunday. Aki and Zumi decided to go home for the weekend which I had insisted them to do. Before I was injured, they were already planning to go home since it was one of the day offs we have that we won't need to train but after I got injured, they were hesitant to go home since no one would take care of me and I would be alone at the dorm.

After almost an hour of reassuring them, they eventually went home. So here I am right now, my ankle wrapped in cloth with ice right beside my swollen ankle, laying in my bed. It was already nine — no, it was almost ten in the morning and I was waiting for Tsutomu to bring me my breakfast because he offered to bring me my meals since it was so painful to walk from the dorms to the cafeteria.

I've was binge-watching previous matches of different teams and right now I've just finished a whole season of an anime series. I was this close (🤏🏻) to reading Zumi's collection of shōnen and shōjo mangas but I thought I could save that for later when I'm really bored. I glanced at the clock once more to see it was now ten and still Tsutomu was not here. I could practically hear my stomach growl at this point. Where the hell is he?

I just brushed it off and started another episode of an anime. And then another, then another, and eventually I dozed off.

*knock* *knock* *knock*

I abruptly sat up as I heard the knock on my door. I glanced at the clock to see it was now eleven. Eleven in the morning! I scowled as I stood up, but not before groaning at the pain that struck me because of my ankle, and eventually limped towards the door while muttering a string of profanities. As I was opening the door, I started spewing out curse after curse towards my dear dear brother, Tsutomu.

"Did you know how hungry I was! I could practically eat a whole village! I swear to god, to mom, to dad, and to my very freakin' soul, I will get you Tsutomu-" I stopped in the middle of my sentence as I noticed that Tsutomu wasn't the one outside the door. It was none other than Wakatoshi. My eyes widened as I stared at the human being in front of me.

"T-Toshi?" I muttered as I saw him stand there awkwardly. He was wearing a black hoodie with grey sweatpants while holding two huge plastics bags and a brown paper bag. "What're you doing here?"