Chapter 30: One Last Time

After their love proclamation at the gym, Wakatoshi surprisingly (finally) broke down in front of Haru. He let out his frustrations, he told Haru everything he was worried about, everything he was anxious about. From their team's loss today to his worries about his future, and Haru just stayed still and listened. She listened to everything he had to say and didn't even uttered a single word until he was finished. She just stood there hugging Wakatoshi while he buried his face on the girl's shoulder just like how Tsutomu did earlier.

Haru immediately noticed that right after he had vented out everything, he was visibly relieved and now more at ease. Some worry lines from his forehead were also gone which cheered Haru up. After he had released all of his worries, Haru immediately comforted him. She wasn't harsh but she was honest, and just like magic, Wakatoshi heard everything he needed to hear to help ease his worries.

"You all good now?" Haru softly asked the boy in front of her who easily towered over her. Wakatoshi nodded as he continued on hugging the girl. Then suddenly, he remembered what she had told Tsutomu earlier. He didn't meant to eavesdrop on their conversation, which was by the looks of it, was a private conversation. But he can't help but replay the words the two siblings exchanged earlier.

Wakatoshi didn't knew how to ask Haru, heck he didn't even knew how to bring it up, but still he tried, "Um, Haru?" The boy called.

"Yeah?" Haru hummed as she glanced at Wakatoshi from under her lashes.

"I overheard something earlier." Wakatoshi admitted.

"From who?" Haru looked up expectantly, her eyes immediately locking with Wakatoshis's, "What was it about?"

"I overheard something earlier, right after the match." Wakatoshi looked away before continuing, "Both you and Tsutomu were mumbling something."

"Oh, that." Haru chuckled while awkwardly scratching the back of her head, she immediately knew what he was referring to. "I used to say that to 'Tomu a lot when we were young and it kinda stuck to him. It practically became his mantra before every game. They're just a string of encouraging words."

"Would you mind if I hear it?" Wakatoshi asked gently, surprising Haru. She looked up and saw the gentleness in his eyes with some traces of worry. She knew that this was probably something that he wanted to hear at the moment.

"Of course, I don't." Haru smiled softly, "This is only for now, this is not a setback. I can do better, I will strive to be better. I can be better. I will not stop until I'm satisfied." When she looked up, she noticed him mulling over the words she must muttered which she took as an indication to continue.

"My dad, Hiroshi, used to say that to me a lot. You probably knew that I was a libero before I was a wing spiker, right? I wasn't always good at receives but still I strived to be the best libero." Haru smiled softly. "There were a lot of downs, that's for sure, but dad was always there to catch me."

"And these words that he would repeat nonstop always stuck to me. Then Tsutomu became a volleyball player too and of course being best big sister ever, I was there to
guide him all throughout the way."

Wakatoshi just watched with adoration as his girlfriend shared her stories and he thought, 'This girl really is something else'. At this point, he was not that sad about the loss anymore and it was all thanks to this girl beside him. He also recalled that this girl also won today and should probably be celebrating but still she chose to be beside him. As he continued on watching her as she talked animatedly, he made a vow to himself that he'll also always be there for her.

"Oi! Are you still listening?" Haru pouted cutely while she snapped her fingers in front of him.

Wakatoshi blinked repeatedly before settling his eyes on her once again.