Chapter 14: A Promising Compromise

📆 a week before interhighs

It was the week before the long awaited Interhighs and everyone was busy. Both teams didn't have time to train with one another like before since both teams were focused on strengthening their cores and teamwork in time for the Interhigh Tournament. But, the teams still hung out with each other during lunch time, free times, and sometimes even dinner.

Though both team were busy, the two captains always made time for each other. It may be either through Wakatoshi joining Haru when she studies in the library or even just walking alongside her. Everyone in school found out about the two which made their respective fan clubs go insane. Though the fan clubs were reluctant and hesitant at the idea at first but eventually came in terms with it and became supportive of the two.

Aki and Zumi, on the other hand, was a different story. When they found out about the two captain's relationship they were beyond ecstatic. They would tease Haru here and there nonstop but were very supportive. It was the same with Haru's dad too. When Haru told his dad about their predicament, Hiroshi was happy for them but told Haru that he still wants to have dinner with both of them to properly meet as a suitor of her daughter.

Haru's mom and stepdad were also happy that Haru finally found someone that makes her happy again but also demands a dinner with Wakatoshi whenever they were in Tokyo, to which the two agreed. Tsutomu, on the other hand, was also a different story. The boy was beyond overprotective of Haru which the girl found sweet while the boy's team found his overprotectiveness funny. Like what was happening now.

"Hey! I want at least 5 meter between the two of you!" Tsutomu narrowed his eyes while pointing a finger at the two who were sitting with shoulders touching. Haru just rolled her eyes while the people surrounding them, which were their teammates, laughed at him.

"What are you? Her dad?" Semi rolled his eyes at Tsutomu. This made everyone laugh at the first year whilst Tsutomu just huffed.

"Tsutomu, I think I'm old enough to know what the right distance between me and guys should be." Haru teased his younger brother who just huffed once again and sat on the other side of Haru.

"I just don't want you to see you get hurt again." Haru heard Tsutomu mumble under his breathe to which only Haru could hear. Haru's eyes softened as he heard his brother mutter this. Haru suddenly stood up which surprised the two males beside her. She turned to her brother, smiling softly, and held out her hand to him, "C'mon let's walk together." Tsutomu stared at his sister for a moment before grabbing her hand and standing up. The two walked away from the group which confused them.

"Where are they going?" Zumi asked no one in particular. This was also what Wakatoshi wanted to ask but bit his lip instead.

"Probably a brother and sister moment." Aki shrugged as she sipped on her orange juice. "Haru was always close to Tsutomu, remember the times she would sneak in the junior high department to hang out with him?"

"Oh! I remember!" Zumi giggled at the memory. "That girl would literally ditch us for his brother."

"Whatever happens, to Haru, family always come first." Aki said seriously before turning to Wakatoshi, "Remember that, Wakatoshi-kun." In which Wakatoshi responded with a firm nod. Wakatoshi had already realized this even before he confessed to Haru. He noticed how the girl was very family oriented despite having different fathers. Not only did he noticed that she was family oriented but he also noticed that Haru deeply treasures her relationship with her friends.