Chapter 18: Promise

third person's point of view

To say that Haru is nervous is an understatement. The girl was literally shaking in nervousness. This usually happens when they were about to play a important match and right now is one of the most important match in Haru's third year life. It was the prefectural finals for the Interhigh Tournament.

In a span of three days they had played over four matches and won every single one of them. The other teams they'd verse against didn't stand a chance since the other teams didn't even got a chance to win a single set against the Haru's team.

In a few minutes, one of the most awaited match in the prefecture will be starting. Niiyama Girl's High volleyball team versus the Shiratorizawa Academy's girls' volleyball team. The gym was packed with spectators there were even people standing!   After this game it would be the boy's match, then the nationals in Tokyo next week.

The loud sound of cheers and chants among the two teams could be heard by almost everyone in the gymnasium but Haru couldn't focus on those cheers at all since for her, her heart seems to be beating more loudly compared to the cheers.

"Aki, Zumi. I'm going out for some air. I'll be back in five minutes. I promise." Haru informed her two best friends before walking out of the gym.

Haru sat in one of the benches outside the gym that was overlooking the freshly cut green gas of the Sendai City Gymnasium. Haru closed her eyes before taking in a deep breath. She held her breath for a few seconds before exhaling it. She continued this for a while before her peace and quiet time was disturbed.

"Didn't know you would be here." Nakamura said as she took a seat next to Haru. Haru peeked at the person beside her before going back to her concentration.

"What're you doing here, Nakamura-san?" Haru sighed out, still with eyes closed.

"I saw you walk out towards here. I thougght that I should check on you, y'know, as you senior." Nakamura joked. Haru's eyes flew open before giving Nakamura a slight glare.

"Hey! We're the same year!" Haru retorted back at Niiyama's captain.

"I know, but still you're younger than me, Ishiwaka-san." Nakamura continued.

"So? I'm more capable than what you think of me-"

"What I mean is, you're still growing, Ishiwaka-san." Haru stayed silent which beckoned Nakamura to continue. "You're still young, there's still this big world that's waiting for you. Waiting for you in the professional court." Nakamura smiled sadly. Nakamura looked at the horizon sadly before continuing.

"I could never beat you, I know that. I already realized it during these past few days. Every time we played against once another, there's always something new with you. You kept on improving, that's why I idolize you. Yep, you heard it right. I idolize you, Ishiwaka-san." Nakamura smiled at the girl beside her. Haru wanted to smile back but she was too shocked at Nakamura's confession.

"Promise me something, Ishiwaka-san." Nakamura looked over at Haru with sincere and serious eyes, Haru nodded, signaling her to continue. "I'm going to retire after this-"

"What!?"

"Let me finish! As I was saying, I'm going to retire after the Interhighs. Will you still continue to the Spring Interhigh?" Nakamura asked Haru.