| Chapter Twenty-Seven | Trust and Loyalty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Trust takes years to build, seconds to break, and forever to repair."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jerome slammed Jason against the wall, his paws clutching the Ex-General's shirt tightly as he growled. "I f*cking knew I never should have trusted you! I should have killed you back during the Decade War when I had the chance!" He shouted. Jason winced, not really willing to try to anger the hybrid more than he already is.

"L-Let me guess, you learned what happened to the king and are blaming me for it..." Jason said.

It's been two hours since the battle ended, the light mages are currently repairing the damage and tending to the wounded while also searching the entire island for any stragglers that were left over from the dark mage army. Ty and Lachlan made sure to take care of the pirates, securing the seas around the island before returning to port.

Jerome was helping to move the wounded for treatment, but once he was told that Mitch was badly injured, he rushed to the castle where Mitch is being treated with Lachlan, Ian, Jordan, and Rob in tow. Upon entering the castle, he spotted Jason, Sky, Sub, Red, and Vikk in the throne room, talking to each other. Jason having a bloodied bandage on the upper part of his arm.

But of course, Jerome immediately went after Jason seeing how he never trusted the Skaldian General.

Jerome gripped Jason's shirt in his paws. "Of course this is your fault!" he snapped.

Jason clicked his tongue. "Technically speaking, you are the King's sworn shield, Jerome. So actually, this is your fault," he said making Jerome growl at the general.

"Idiot..." Rob muttered under his breath upon hearing Jason's response. Rob grabbed Jerome's arm. "Jerome, that's enough, get off him!" he snapped pulling the enraged hybrid off Jason.

Jerome looked at Rob. "Don't tell me you trust this--"

Rob shakes his head. "I never said that! But all Jason has done since he came here is help us, so he has gained at least enough trust to be heard out," he snapped at Jerome.

Before Jason could respond, Vikk cut him off. "It isn't his fault, it's mine," he said making everyone look at him.

"No, Captain, it isn't," Red said.

Vikk glanced at Red before looking at Jerome and Rob. "I should have been there sooner, I should have been there to protect him when he needed it the most," he said.

Jerome's eyes soften at Vikk. "Vikk, it isn't your fault," he said before he looked at Sky. "You were supposed to protect him, why didn't you?"

Sky looked at Jerome, not knowing how to respond but Jason stepped in front of him when Jerome moved towards the Skaldian Prince. "Now hold on, if it wasn't for Sky here, we would have all died in that tunnel. So don't go blaming him when he saved us all," Jason snapped.

"Where is he?" Lachlan asked wanting to change the subject.

Vikk looked at Lachlan. "In his chambers, Quentin and two healers are treating him right now. He kicked everyone out of the room saying he didn't need us breathing down his neck and asking pointless and irritating questions," he said making Lachlan and Jordan smile in response seeing that as something Quentin would do and say.