Ice Queen (Johnny)

A/N: Here's a fluffy winter high school AU in honor of the frosty winter days ahead! Stay warm and safe everyone <3

---

Johnny twisted around in his seat, craning his neck to check the vacant desk at the back of the class. Just like usual, you were absent on the day of the big end-of-semester dance. The event happened in the evening, but the day was usually filled with students trying to snag last minute dates and teachers putting on movies to keep everyone entertained. Leave it to your history professor to put on a documentary about the history of fonts.

"Looks like Ice Queen is skipping again this year, huh?" Yuta clamped a hand on his best friend's shoulder.

Johnny sighed. Yet another semester flew by, and he still couldn't ask his crush to the dance. But even if you didn't want to attend the event, wasn't skipping a full day of classes a bit too much? If only he could figure out why you were so against going–

The bell sounded, and students rushed out of class to hurry home and get ready. Yuta gave him another reassuring pat on the shoulder before catching the bus to his neighborhood. With no plans for the evening, a dejected Johnny began his solo walk home. Winter slush soaked into his sneakers, his now-soggy socks squishing with every step forward. Could today get any worse? Johnny was about to kick some of the icy mixture off the sidewalk when he saw you.

"Y/N?" he tilted his head in confusion.

You looked up, startled. But before you could run, Johnny stood in front of your path, blocking you.

"Please move," you groaned. "I don't have time for this."

Johnny laughed dryly. "Obviously you have plenty of time if you're not going to the winter dance."

The shift in your eyes told him he'd struck a sore nerve. You disregarded the small flicker in your personality and pushed past him, but Johnny grabbed your wrist. Squirming in his grasp, you tried to break free, but he was strong.

"Let go while I'm being nice," you nearly hissed. You flashed your signature stare that froze people in place and sent chills down their spine–the cold gaze that had earned you your nickname. The Ice Queen.

Johnny shook his head, hoping to see that glint in your eyes again. Something about your actions and that split-second falter didn't add up. Finally, he released his hold in fear of hurting you.

"You want to go, don't you?" he asked, staring hard at the winter slush. "You want to go more than anyone else."

As if you were under your own spell, you froze. He turned his gaze on you, and the look in your eyes returned, but this time, he could read it. Loneliness.

"Want to grab hot chocolate?" you broke the awkward silence.

Johnny suddenly remembered that he was talking to his crush, and the adrenaline crashed on him hard. "Sure!" he replied a little too enthusiastically and followed you down the street to a cozy cafe.

Soft jazz played overhead, and the place was decked out with tinsel and candy canes. Johnny almost hit his head on one before you beckoned him to the counter. He blinked in surprise at the faint smile that tugged at your lips as you eyed the menu. At school, you glared at people who got in your way and avoided conversation. The Ice Queen never smiled.

"Two peppermint hot chocolates, please."

Before Johnny could fish out his credit card, you had already swiped yours.

"But–" he protested.

You handed him his drink and led him to a small table by the window. He watched you carefully, not sure what you were about to do or say. If he made a wrong move, you could very well judo-flip him across the table. At least at school, the Ice Queen was unpredictable.