Birthday Present (Mark)

Mark couldn't wait. Today was a big day. A very big day. August 2nd.

"HAPPY 18th BIRTHDAY, HYUNG!" Haechan screamed right into Mark's ear, startling the boy so badly he fell off the bed, but nothing could get him down today. NCT was going to throw him a surprise party that he already knew about, but he would play along just for the heck of it. "You gotta wake up, dude!"

Mark didn't have to be told twice. He quickly rushed into the bathroom, letting the hot water from the shower roll down his back, trickling down his muscles.  He wasn't really too built, but being in three subgroups for NCT was quite the hustle.  His newly-dyed, dark brown hair clung to his forehead as he wrapped a towel around his waist, stepping back into his room that he shared with Haechan.

"Ooh, someone looks hot~" Haechan teased, and Mark rolled his eyes playfully before blushing.  He thought of you for a second.  If only you didn't have a mandatory robotics club meeting today.  You could have spent the day with him, and he would have been even happier, but if you were happy, then he was more than pleased. 

Suddenly Mark's phone started ringing in his pocket, and he quickly answered it only to be greeted by Taeil's voice.  And Mark tried not to laugh as he heard the other members try to hold themselves together in the background.  Taeil, however, spoke with the blandest voice possible which made the whole situation even funnier. 

"Hey, the dance instructor needs to see all of us to discuss something he saw when monitoring the performance on M Countdown the other day," Taeil explained.  "I think you and Haechan are the only ones missing.  Get here as soon as you can.  You know he doesn't have much patience when it comes to these things."

Mark nodded even though he knew Taeil couldn't see him.  "Sure thing, hyung.  See you soon."

"What'd he say?" Haechan asked, and either Haechan was just really good at acting or he legit didn't know what was going on.  Either way, Mark wouldn't be surprised. That's usually the way things went.

"We gotta hurry over to the building and meet with the dance instructor. He wants to clean up the details."

Mark played along, following closely behind Haechan in the hallway that led to the practice room down the hall. And as expected, the lights suddenly switched off from inside the room.

"You go first," Haechan whimpered. "I'm scared of the dark."

Meanwhile on the other side, Taeyong was throwing a fit. "What if a ghost pops out of nowhere? Maybe we should turn on the lights."

"Are you being serious right now?" Doyoung scoffed, debating whether to smack the leader upside the head, and of course Mark on the other side of the door could hear everything.  But that's what he loved about his dorky bandmates.

Slowly, he pushed open the door, and he internally laughed at the idiot who decided to hide right behind it, but he slipped in anyways, Haechan turning on the lights behind him.

"SURPRISE!" everyone screamed, and Mark grinned so wide his cheeks hurt.  

"Aw guys," he pretended to tear up and sniffle, but then the group members parted, revealing you standing there, holding his cake adorned with an "18" candle.  "Y/N?"  Mark ran towards you, and you blushed.  "I thought you had a robotics meeting.  Did it get cancelled?"

"I told them it was your birthday and that I had to be here."  You held the cake out to him as the members and you started singing, your soprano voice standing out amongst the group.  Or was that Taeil's voice?  Mark quickly made a wish before blowing out the candles.

After a few hours, it was just you and Mark up in his dorm room, the rest of the members either practicing or hanging out elsewhere, letting Mark spend the rest of the day with you.  NCT got to see him everyday, but you, on the other hand, had quite the schedule to keep.

"Hey, um, I just really wanted to say thanks for being here with me today.  It means a lot."

"Of course, silly!  I'd rather spend my time with my lovable boyfriend than with a robot that doesn't reciprocate emotions.  But I didn't have time to go back home and get your present.  It's still at the house, but Taeyong said we would surprise you before you got to suspicious," you muttered.

"Don't worry about it.  It's all cool."

You took a deep breath before moving closer to him and wrapping your arms around his waist and nuzzling your face into the crook of his neck.  "I like you more than I can comprehend.  I wish I could-" you cut yourself off, shaking the thoughts out of your head.

"You wish you could what, babe?"

Your heart leaped when he called you that, and you felt your fingertips tingle as you lay down next to him, cuddling him.  The two of you had always been close but never this physically close.  You were just 6 months older than him, but the two of you had wanted to turn 18 before getting a little closer.

"Y/N..." Mark trailed off, looking straight into your deep, brown eyes.

"Yes?"

"What's the matter?  What'd you want to tell me?"

"It's nothing.  I forgot," you lied, but you weren't down or anything.  You had just wanted to kiss him.  

Mark suddenly turned towards you, smiling cutely.  "Babe, can I ask you to do something for me?  You don't have to, but you know, it's something I've sorta been waiting for."

"What is it?"

"A kiss," the boy replied shyly, and your cheeks heated up.

"A-are you sure?  What if the others find out?  Or what if they walk in while-"

Mark leaned in and captured your lips, and your eyes fluttered closed.  You took in the heat radiating from his body, and you were pretty sure you could hear his heart thumping loudly inside his chest.  Yet, you kissed him back, your hands running though his soft hair before the two of you pulled away.

"Best birthday present over," Mark grinned, kissing your forehead.