Let Her Go Part 3 (Jaehyun)

"Are you sure she'll like this?" Johnny asked Mark.

The thirteen-year old folded his arms over his chest.  "Pinky promise.  She's been eyeing it for  a while, but she kept telling me she had no one to wear it for."

"So you're saying I should give her a reason to wear this?" Johnny asked.  "You know, for a kid, you're pretty quick-witted."

Mark shrugged.  "I'm just a little more observant than others.  Plus, I think calling you 'dad' would sound better than 'uncle'." 

Johnny blushed.  "Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  I'm just giving her this necklace tomorrow for Valentine's Day.  She's never even spared this old uncle a glance, so we shouldn't get our hopes up."

Mark blocked Johnny's path.  "Okay, I helped you, so now you have to help me."

Johnny laughed.  "Ah, that situation you told me about earlier?"

"Why are you laughing?  I'm serious!  I like her so much that my cheeks feel hotter than the sun when she looks at me.  And when I try to talk to her, it feels like my heart is going to leap out of my chest.  I want to tell her how I feel, but I'm-"

"Scared she'll leave you?  Yeah, we're in the same boat, buddy," Johnny ruffled the teenager's hair.  "Why don't you shoot your shot tomorrow after school?  You may be surprised that she feels the same way.  Some people are too nervous to show their love.  Your mom is a good example."

Mark nodded.  "Don't be nervous about tomorrow.  My mom isn't very good hiding her feelings.  I'm just worried about-"

"Want something to drink, kiddo?  We can sort out your problem over a cup of coffee," Johnny smiled warmly.  

Together they sipped up their liquid gold- Johnny enjoying the bitterness and Mark trying hard not to gag at the intense flavor.  Romance was like a cup of coffee.  For some it was sweet, and for some, it was nothing but bitter.  After tomorrow's sunrise, things would be very different.

You stretched your limbs and soaked in the rising sun peeking through your curtains.  Today, you would finally grab hold of your feelings and tell him how you felt.  Sifting through your closet, you pulled out a beautiful dress you were saving for today.  You traded your usual earrings for longer ones that caught the light and shimmered prettily.  

"Mommy, you look pretty," your daughter giggled.

You turned around and saw your baby girl holding a blanket in one hand.  She must have woken up hearing you get ready so early.  Mark stood in the doorway with a smile as if he knew something you didn't.  Not that you didn't mind since you knew he spent all of yesterday with Johnny.  

The kids went off to school, and you drove to your job.  Now, you were the director of marketing for your magazine company.  It had been slow progress, but now, you were at the top.  You were about to step inside when you heard someone call your name.  Whirling around, you saw the man who once used to make your heart throb.  And as he stepped closer, your heart started pounding again but for different reasons.  

"I know I shouldn't be doing this, but this is something I've been meaning to give you for a while," Jaehyun spoke up shyly.

He fumbled with something in his hands and stepped even closer to place it on you.  He smiled at the necklace delicately hanging from your neck.  It suited you perfectly.  

"I'll disappear for you again," Jaehyun smiled.  "I just wanted to show you that I still care and that I haven't forgotten you."

You were about to unfasten the necklace when Jaehyun stopped you.

"Promise me you'll only wear this for today," he said.  "You loved me once.  And I loved you then, too.  So just for today, let's remember those simple times."

You sighed and nodded.  "Just for today.  Take care, Jaehyun," you wished him before disappearing into your company's building.

That evening, you came home to a grumpy Mark.  

"What's wrong?" you approached him.  "You were going to confess to your crush today, right?  How'd it go?"

Mark looked away.  "Can't say that it went well."

Your eyes shifted to the clock, and you gasped.  Speaking of crush, your own would be here in an hour, and you still hadn't made your special Valentine's dinner.  You began chopping the vegetables up for a hearty soup and boiled some pasta.  Just as you finished setting the table, you heard the doorbell ring, and you checked your reflection in the pot boiling on the stove before running to get the door.  

Johnny stood there tucked handsomely in a linen suit.  His hair was sculpted by pomade, and his cologne was the same as he used to wear for special events in college.  But Johnny looked down at your necklace and bit his lip.  

"Oh this?  Jaehyun gave it to me earlier-" you cut yourself off, realizing what you had said.  

Johnny forced a smile.  "Oh, I brought some coffee.  I forgot I left it in the car." 

With that excuse, he ran down the hallway of the apartment with Mark hot on his heels.  The teenager had seen everything, and you tried to chase after them, but you couldn't go far with your little girl alone at home.

Mark settled for the passenger seat of Johnny's sedan.

The older of the two handed the boy a cup, and this time, Mark drank the coffee without hesitation.  Like Johnny, he savored the bitter flavor and forced it down his throat.  The two of them drank their caffeinated drinks in silence.

"My mom really does like you," Mark said.  "But I know how you're feeling.  You're angry that the person you like so much may never look your way and may hesitate because of someone else.  You're worried my dad will come back into the picture, right?"

Johnny set down his cup and gripped the steering wheel tightly.  They were still parked in your apartment's parking lot, but he wanted to drive far, far away to a place where he could start over and heal the pain in his chest.

"Mark.  I'm afraid Jaehyun never left."

---

A/N: Part 3 is out!  And I think I will be making a part 4 which will be the final part of this saga! 

Question of the imagine: What would you do if you like someone, but you're not sure if they like you?