Coming Home (Doyoung)

BAM!

A startled Doyoung sat up at the feeling of his head smacking his office desk, earning a groan that the whole building could have heard.  But given that it was 3 AM, he was pretty sure no one was around to hear the string of curse words he muttered as he rubbed his hands all over his face, trying to wake himself up.

Like usual, he was the last one in the office, groveling away in preparation for the newest issue of Fashion Evaluation.  Working for a fashion magazine seemed like a piece of cake, but on the inside, the company was nothing but pressure and deadlines and all-nighters.  

Doyoung figured he wasn't going to make more progress during the night.  Maybe he could go home, shower, snag a good three hours of sleep before he had to wake up and do the whole routine over again.  He worked monotonously- like a robot.  But even with all this pressure, Doyoung had endured it much better when you were around.  

He drove home and trudged to his apartment, punching the code into the keypad.  Wearily, he kicked off his sneakers and tossed his messenger bag to the side.  Doyoung glanced at the kitchen, but this time, you weren't there waving at him while vigorously stirring batter.  Since both of you had stressful jobs, you relieved the strain by baking.  The sweet treats usually did the trick.  

But tonight, it was just a tall glass of water proceeded by a warm shower.  Initially, Doyoung hadn't planned on hosting a female roommate.  Naturally it seemed complicated.  There were two rooms in the apartment, but sometimes, Doyoung just wanted to walk around shirtless, and he was worried a female roommate would want to walk around comfortably, as well.  It would just create an awkward environment.  But, he had been desperate for someone to split the monthly rent back then while also having someone keep him company.  And you were the only one who had expressed interest on his online post.

At first, the atmosphere had been super awkward.  Doyoung had forgotten you were living with him now, and occasionally came straight out of the shower in just boxers.  The two of you saw each other in very vulnerable states, but all those experiences definitely brought you closer.

After long days like tonight, you and Doyoung would eat the pastries you had baked while watching a good movie.  You had deep conversations about what lay beyond the stars, beyond the galaxy, beyond the universe.  But slowly, Doyoung realized that he didn't care about all that because you were his universe.  He revolved around you like you were his sun.  There was always a smile on your face despite the harsh conditions of your work, and it give him the drive to smile along with you.

Doyoung collapsed in his bed, the sound of him switching off his lamp echoing throughout the empty apartment.  Those days were over.  Even though he had been staying here for years, home didn't feel like home anymore.  The concrete walls felt cold and hostile.  And the string lights that you had hung up to help brighten up the place?  Doyoung had stopped turning them on, relying only on the light from the sun that didn't feel nearly as warm as you.

He reached for his phone, unable to sleep.  His finger automatically found its way to his photos, exposing a gallery that was filled with pictures of you.  Every so often, he'd look through these memories and instantly feel better.  But this was just like a bandaid.  It only covered up the wound for a short amount of time.  There were selfies of the two of you with funny filters, and pictures of the masterpieces that the two of you had baked together.  But his favorite were the candids he had of you.  There were some with flour on your nose and in your hair.  How you managed that, Doyoung didn't know, but he found it adorable.

That whole fantasy had faded away when you moved a couple hours away after a job offer.  Now, there was no one to come home to.  It wasn't like you had some sort of relationship.  Every interaction felt strange.  You weren't friends, but you weren't lovers either.  At that time, you were just two people captivated by each other.  For that short moment, you were each other's happiness.

Just like that, the chapter of the book he was reading had ended, but Doyoung came to realize more and more each day that this was a chapter he wanted to keep reading.  Tonight, his feelings got the best of him.  

Grabbing his coat and his keys, Doyoung smiled in approval at his impulse decision.  Finally, he was coming home.

The two hour-long car ride had never felt longer.  He practiced what he would say over and over again, but when he finally arrived at your apartment, he found himself at a loss for words.  You texted every now and then, but what if you had moved on?  What if you had someone else in your life now?

Doyoung rapped his knuckles on the door all while nervously chewing on his chapped lips.  Seconds later, you were standing in front of him, your lips parting in awe as your mind raced a mile per second.

Hypnotically, Doyoung raised his hand, using his finger to push your hair out of your eyes and tuck the strands gently behind your ears.  The cool touch of his fingers tickled you, and a tear traced its way down your cheek.

"Thank goodness," Doyoung grinned, watching the tear drip from the chin onto the back of your palm.  "Thank goodness it's not just me missing you."  

Seeing your face left him breathless, and he pulled you into a desperate hug.  He brought his chapped lips up to the shell of your ear, and you could feel the warmth radiating from his body.  

"I'm home," he whispered with a small smile.

---

A/N: This ending nearly had me in tears.  Thank you pandequeso727 for requesting this "Coming Home" inspired Doyoung imagine.  The vocals in that song are just breathtaking, and I love how all their voices melt together.  It was the perfect winter song for me!

Question of the imagine:  HAPPY NEW YEAR!  Do you have any New Year's Resolutions?  My resolutions are to finish up my projects I've been working on O.O, but my main one has been to smile more and live every day simply and happily :)