Chapter 2.

October 1, 1966

"L.A Beats" was a small club in downtown Los Angeles. The inside was dim, a little run down, brick walls and a small stage. There was always a damp, earthy smell that hung in the air. Especially when it rained.

Tables and chairs cramped as closely as possible. It wasn't nice but, the bouncers and owners always made the more....heavier people sit at the bar. Rock 'N Roll bands and solo acts performed at different shifts. It was a bit cozy at night. And this is where I found myself playing mondays through Saturdays every night at the ten o'clock hour.

The small crowd applauded as I made my way off stage. Guitar around my waist, and case in hand. I walked over to a small table, staring at the pack of cigarettes in front of me.

"Great turn out sis."

I looked up to see my little sister sit across from me, grabbing the pack of cigarettes and pulling one out. Just as she was to light it, I took it away from her.

"You're sixteen Em and on my watch. You know mom would kill me if she knew I was letting you smoke."

She sighed and rolled her eyes. "Come on Sadie. Mom's not around is she? God knows how you were at my age."

"Yeah and I learned from my mistakes." I raised my eyebrows. She just looked away at the new guy on stage singing an Elvis cover.

"Mom wants to know." She turned to me.

"Know what?"

"You know."

I sighed and sat back, crossing my arms. "Is that why you're here? To find out who the father is? I never should have told her about the baby in the first place."

"You know you still have a choice."

I glared at her. "What? Get rid of it? No Emily you know I'm not like that."

"You go to a gig, get pregnant by a musician and now you expect just to deal with it?? Why do you have to sit around for nine months while he's off being mister big shot..."

"Are you reading all those feminism books again?"

"What? No...maybe...that's not the point."

"My god Emily stay away from that shit. It's brainwashing narcissism! I'll do what I want with my life and see who I want. Which is why I moved out at eighteen."

"Yeah and now look at you. Your income comes from tips and pathetic pay at a club like this to sing cover songs and play your sorrows away."

"Atleast I'm making a living. Stay in school or you might be a fuckin loser like myself." I stood up and made my way backstage to load my gear. She followed.

"I didn't mean it like that."

"Oh? What did you mean then? Just go home Em. I don't need yours or mom's sympathy."

"Sadie?" She asked as I kneeled down and closed my guitar case. She handed me fifty bucks and turned on her heel, leaving me alone. I sighed and stood up, stuffing the money in my pocket.

"Thanks." I said to myself.

..

It was a ten minute walk from the club to my apartment. By then, it was completely dark out. Passing by dark alleys and lonely streets.

As I walked alone, I thought about her words. About why I'm the one who has to go through the pregnancy alone. I hated to admit it, but she had a point. But what could I even do?? Fly to England and somehow show up at Paul's doorstep and say, Hey I'm pregnant with your lovechild! Let's get married!

It wasn't that simple. But then again, not impossible.

As I walked into my building, I set my things away and was greeted with an overly excited sheepdog who came running to me. I giggled and kissed her.

"Calm down Martha. It's just me." I smiled. "You hungry?"

I made myself and Martha something to eat. Living alone can really seem depressing sometimes but, atleast it gives me time to think. Clearly that is.

The taste of cheese in my mouth made me feel nauseous. The doctor warned me things would be different for the next few months. Even eating certain foods can trigger nausea.

I ran to the restroom, puking in the toilet. Feeling sick, I sat back and stared at the tiled floor. Tomorrow, I'm doing something about this. Em was right, I can't go through this alone. Sure I have family and a life of my own. But for fucks sake, I can barely pay for rent and feed myself. Let alone take care of this baby. I stuck to what I told Emily. I'm not having an abortion. Why should this baby be rid of this world just cause I'm bitter?

I stood up and flushed, making my way to my bedroom. Martha followed and laid on the bed as I stared at the number he left behind on the nightstand that night.

"I'm sorry Paul. But tomorrow, I'm calling to derail your life."

..............