Chapter 23.

I looked at her strangely and put on a fake worried face. I knew how to lie. So did Paul. From the look on his face, I could tell this was one of those moments where our abilities needed to be put to good use.

“L…Liar? What are you talking about?” I asked innocently. She scoffed and shook her head.

“Don’t give me that. I know you’re not a cousin of George’s. That was just a set up to shut me up and send me away wasn’t it? I called Pattie and I talked to George! He didn’t mention anything about a cousin that’s staying with Paul! Now I want answers and I want to know the truth!”

Paul sighed and grabbed her arm. “Jane love it’s not what you think…”

“What am I supposed to think? A woman I’ve never met before is staying with my boyfriend in his home! What am I supposed to be quiet and accept it!? You’re supposed to be honest with me! I thought our relationship was going somewhere!”

“It is going somewhere Jane! I love you! Only you! Look at me.” He pulled her to him despite her protests. I watched as they talked quietly. Looking into each other’s eyes. She nodded a  few times and glanced at me now and then. He stroked the side of her cheek and gave her a soft kiss. She sniffled and kissed him back. I couldn’t help feeling uncomfortable now.

“I…I guess it’s alright that you stay with Paul for now. As long as nothing funny goes on between the two of you. I love Paul and….I guess in a way I was just a little jealous. I didn’t know what to think.”

I felt guilty now. I felt wrong for what was just going on in the shower between Paul and I. He could see the emotions through my eyes as he stared at me. I nodded.

“It’s fine. I um…I think I’m just going to head to bed now. I need some rest after everything.” I gave a small smile.

“What happened?” She asked looking at my arm. I was about to speak. Paul interrupted.

“I’ll tell you everything. How about I make us some tea and we have a little chat. I’m sure Sadie just needs some rest right now.”

“Alright. I’d like that.” She smiled then turned to me. “G’night.”

I nodded. “night.”

I glanced at Paul and I could tell he felt a little guilty. I just turned on my heel and made my way to my room. I locked the door and walked over to my record player, grabbing a random vinyl and putting it on. The slow music adding to my mood. Martha was laying on my bed, watching me pace the room and put on some underwear. I laid back and sighed.

I had no competition with Jane. She was beautiful. She was an actress for fucks sake. Paul was a wealthy musician. They were a perfect match. Who was I? Just some girl he felt sorry for because I was having his child. I don’t know exactly what Paul told Jane down there to change her mind about the whole subject. But I knew she must love him enough to trust who he was keeping in his home. I want that kind of trust with someone one day. But as for now, I have bigger problems to deal with.

..

The sound of knocking woke me up the next morning. I forgot I locked the door. Rolling off the bed, I crawled over and opened up. He raised his eyebrows, looking down at me.

“G’morning. Look I’m goin to be off out this afternoon. I’ll be back at four.”

“Where to?” I asked as he helped me to my feet.

“Just out.”

I nodded and smiled to myself as he grabbed a top from the closet and held it up from a distance, tossing it to the side and grabbing another, repeating until he found the one he liked. A pink and white floral dress.

We fumbled around as he zipped it up, clueless to the fact he forgot to put a bra on me first. Who was I to complain anyways? It’s the sixties. That’s enough of an excuse.

“Why this one?” I asked.

“I like it. It makes you glow.” He smiled. I blushed and watch him leave the room. I followed.

“Lunch is out in the garden. I should be goin now.”

“Thank you Paul.” I grabbed his arm and slowly leaned up and kissed his cheek.

“You’re welcome.” he blushed.

We continued walking and went our opposite ways. The cool air brushed against my skin as I walked barefoot to the garden where Paul told me my food was. I smiled as Martha barked happily. Richard sat at the table, waiting for me. I ran over and jumped into his lap.

“You have no idea how glad I am to see you.” I sighed, giving him a soft kiss.

..

"Oh Richard." I breathed heavily as we laid in bed. Our legs tangled with one anothers. I was laying on his chest. His fingers running through my hair as he panted, staring at the ceiling. It was silent as we cuddled in one anothers arms.

"I think I love you." He said, still staring ahead.

I looked at him. "What?"

"I....I love you." He looked at me. His big blues gazing into my eyes. "I don't care if you don't say it back. I just...I love you."

I couldn't help feeling warm inside. Something different. My body heated up as he looked away and just ran a hand through his hair. I smiled to myself and stroked the side of his face.

"Richard. Look at me." I whispered.

He turned to me and looked over my face.

"I love you too." I blushed. He broke a small smile and leaned in, kissing me. I giggled as he rolled on top, never breaking our kiss.

Paul had Jane. And I didn't want to mess with that. Richard has a wife. But why was he in bed here with me instead? He made me feel loved. Wanted. Needed. Like I was the only woman in the universe that meant something to him. I didn't even care if it was just lust. But I needed this kind of intimacy. To feel special. Richard made me feel all those things. Besides, Paul said all I was is a friend to him. In a way I'm glad what happened last night in the shower was interrupted. It would have just strained things between us even more. Made him more guilty. This way, I was happy, Richard was happy. Martha was happy. Shouldn't Paul be even happier?

..............