Chapter 21.

“Hmmmnnn.”

“Sadie?”

“I can’t….Help me...”

“Sadie you’re fine. It’s Paul.”

“Paul?”

“It’s me. Were in the hospital.”

I opened my eyes from the darkness to see Paul staring at me. A worried look on his face. My hand in his.

“Where is he?” I slurred.

“Two blokes found you in an alley. You shouldn’t ‘ave been walking...”

“Where is he??” I asked more eagerly.

“He was taken in. He won’t harm you anymore Sadie. I’m just glad you’re alright.”

I looked at him and groaned in pain as I tried sitting up. “It hurts.”

“What hurts?” He asked.

“Everything. The baby…” I quickly moved my hand to my stomach.

“The baby is fine. The doctor said if anything, it just felt like an earthquake in there.”

I rubbed my eyes and looked around at the fairly lit room. The clock reading seven in the morning. A cup of coffee in one of his hands. My hand in the other. He noticed what I was looking at and quickly let go.

“Sadie I…I’m just so glad you’re alright. I got the call a little after midnight. I was already worried as to where you were at such an odd time. Usually you’d be home eating or watching late night telly. But ye were gone. I was ready to call the club when I got the call you were in the hospital. The em….the doctors told me you kept muttering my name. When I came ‘ere, I was told everything. I just can’t imagine how scared ye must have been...”

“I was scared. I just…I kept screaming for help but nobody would come.” I broke into tears and covered my face with my hands. Paul sat on the edge of the bed and held me. “I was alone. I thought I was going to die…I was ready to die...”

“Shhhh love. Don’t say that. Your here. Alive. The baby needs you. I need you.” He kissed the top of my head.

“No you don’t Paul. You have someone already…”

“Doesn’t mean I can’t have a friend. I love you Sadie. Despite all the harsh words we exchange and the attitudes, you’ve become a dear friend to me. And I’m not just saying that because you’re carrying my baby.” He chuckled. I smiled to myself and looked up at him.

“You really enjoy my company?”

“I do.”

The nurse came in and opened the curtains even more, making me cringe at the brightness.

“Good morning!” She smiled happily.

“Morning.” I muttered.

“I see you’re up and stable. You had a good night’s rest with all those sleeping pills the doctor gave you.” She giggled and walked over to me. “But then again, not everyone has mister McCartney to wake up to. Are you hungry?”

“Starved.” I said resting a hand on my stomach.

..

I had a broken arm, a few bruises and scratches all over my body. It wasn’t all too bad. I was just a little emotionally scarred. I asked Paul to treat me as if nothing happened. I didn’t want anything about the accident mentioned or even spoken. Moving on was something I needed to do. I didn’t want to become a burden, a damsel in distress. Someone who needs a man to rely on. That’s just not the type of woman that I was. I enjoyed being alone. Not having someone to keep reminding me that I was special or that I was being taken care of. Paul made sure of that.

When I left the hospital later that afternoon, Paul brought me back to his. To the garden. My comfort zone. Martha ran over to me and cried happily as I sat down. She licked my face and managed to move into my lap as I sat on the grass.

“I missed you too Martha my dear.” I giggled.

“Here we are.” Paul came out, handing me a cup of tea. I smiled.

“Thanks. So um…when will you be back?” I asked looking up at him. He looked at me strangely.

“What d’you mean?”

“You usually leave at this time of day.” I shrugged.

“I’m staying today. I know you don’t want any help but…admit that fact that ye need someone around to help you.”

I sighed. He was right. I had a broken arm for fucks sake. I couldn’t manage doing certain things on my own. A helping hand was needed.

“I suppose.” I sighed.

“I um…I was thinkin since were both here…”

I saw him grab his guitar and hand me my journal I had on the small table near where we sat. I couldn’t help smiling at the gesture.

“You want to?” I asked.

“I’d love to.” He looked into my eyes.

I blushed and opened the journal where I had left off. “First song…Because.”

…………….