Chapter 42.

I stood up and stormed into the bedroom angrily, slamming the door on the way in. Anita burst our crying, wiggling around. I sighed and walked over, picking her up into my arms and carried her to the bed. Emily walked into the room and stood in front of me.

“Sadie I did this for Anita’s best interest.”

“Best interest my ass. This is about Marcus isn’t it?? You only care about yourself! You think that if Paul and I made things right with each other, I’d move back to England so you could follow and run to him again!”

“I don’t always just think about myself you know! How do you think I feel seeing you everyday alone with that little girl?? My big sister that I look up to struggling to keep dinner on that table. To keep a roof over her daughters head?? I hate watching you suffer while he’s out there being mister big shot! He’s half of that little girl. He should atleast have some kind of responsibility for her and be there. I’m not telling you two to fall in love and be a happy fuckin family. But for your little girls’s sake. Be the right parents that she needs.”

I stayed silent and looked down at Anita drifting back to sleep. Her chubby cheeks pouting as she wiggled around.

“You’re right. She is Paul’s responsibility. Half of his I mean. But I don’t need him Emily. You have to realize that Paul has a girlfriend. He’s in love with someone else. I need to move on with my life and forget that this little girl is Paul McCartneys.”

There was a knock on the door. I looked at her.

“Emily….when exactly did you call Paul?”

“A w…week ago.”

I shut my eyes and stood up, setting Anita in her crib and hurriedly grabbed shorts from my closet.

“Stall him!” I whispered loudly, almost falling while getting dressed. Emily ran out of the room and suddenly I heard the front door open and shut. I cursed at her and quickly brushed my hair and fixed my shirt. I walked out of the room, slowly entering the living room.

He turned around and looked at me. I bit my lip and felt myself blush as he looked me over. His eyes scanning my body.

“Sadie…you look so…”

“Hello Paul. I um, wasn’t aware you’d be coming by.”

“No? I’m sorry I thought that your sister let you know….”

I laughed sarcastically. “Oh believe me. She did. About ten minutes ago.”

He stayed silent and stood up. Emily interrupted.

“Can I get you something to drink? I mean, It’s only two in the morning but….”

“No I’m quite alright. Can I see her?” He asked. I crossed my arms.

“Did you know?” I raised my eyebrows.

“Please Sadie…”

“Did you know?” I asked again. He shook his head.

“I didn’t. Which is why when Emily told me…I thought she was lying. I told her I wouldn’t come. That we had things figured out but…she told me that it wasn’t lies. That the little girl truly was mine. That you would be against her calling me but that I needed to know. She was right. So I decided to plan a holiday for myself and I came here. I wanted to be certain. I need to see her.”

I just looked at him and nodded slowly. “Come on.”

Emily watched us leave the room. Paul was a step behind me, pausing as I reached the crib. Anita sleeping happily while I picked her up.

“Here she is.” I whispered. He walked over and looked down at her. He let a smile escape his lips. Slowly stroking her cheek with his finger. In that moment. She opened her eyes and looked up at him. She whined and lifted her arms.

“Her eyes….” He whispered. I looked at him as he watched Anita. “She’s mine. My little girl.”

He sniffled and looked away. I held Anita in one arm, resting a hand on Paul’s back.

“Paul? What’s wrong?”

“You probably hate me. Being away from you and our little girl. I swear I didn’t know.”

I walked closer and faced him. Our bodies barely touching. “I know you didn’t know. I don’t blame you for not being here. But, I also don't blame Richard..."

"How could you not blame him?! All of this is his bloody fault! He tells you one thing and then something else fuckin happens! He kept me away from knowing....I just...I don't know what to believe." He shook his head. I nudged his chin to look at me.

"All we do know is that this baby girl is ours. Isn't that all that matters?"

He wiped his eyes and gave a small nod. I smiled and kissed his cheek. "I didn't want to see you. But now, I'm glad you're here."

Paul grabbed her out of my arms and just stared into her sleepy eyes. "What's her name?"

"Anita. Anita Montgomery."

"Soon to be Anita McCartney."

I looked at him. "What?"

"I want her to have my last name. She's my little girl too. I want her to always know that."

"Paul I...I don't know. I mean when you go back to London that's it isn't it? You can't just waltz into my life, expecting me to go through it all again. I've raised her so far I can do it for years to come."

"I'm not a bastard Sadie. I love her. One look and I know she's mine. She needs a father."

"Paul.."

"I love you Sadie."

"And I love you. But things just can't go our way."

"Why not?" He pouted.

I bit my lip and sighed. "Because you're Paul McCartney! And I'm a nobody! I'm just that girl from California who got knocked up by a Beatle."

He sighed. "You're more than that. I'm not leaving until you agree to come back with me to England."

I felt tears welling up in my eyes. "I didn't want this. You have to leave."

"Stop trying to run away."

"I'm not trying anything. Paul we agreed.."

"Fuck all of that! We love each other. We have a baby girl..."

"It's because of this baby girl you came back. If it was just me...would you have been here?"

He stayed silent and just looked at me.

"Sadie..."

"You have to go Paul." I wiped my eyes.

"I want you in my life."

I looked into his eyes and shook my head. "Why do you love me."

He slowly leaned in, his lips brushing against mine.

"Because when I saw you that first night, you were the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen. Inside and out."

I hummed as he kissed me. I moved my hands in his hair, pulling him in closer until we were interrupted by cries. I pulled away, taking Anita into my arms.

"We can't be together Paul."

He rested his forehead against mine. "I know Sadie. I know."

...............