Chapter 53.

John met me back at the hotel later that night. I was feeling incredibly in charge of my life again. It's been awhile.

"How was your day?" I asked, taking my heels off.

"It was pretty well. Met up with a few mates. Had a chat and a few drinks. Something I haven't done in awhile. It was great. What about you? New strong Sadie." He smiled. I giggled and unzipped the back of my skirt.

"Well if you must know, I went out and made a few arrangements with an old friend at the club I used to play at. John I want to talk to you about something. And I need your word."

He patted the empty spot next to him on the sofa. I sat down and fiddled with my hands.

"I know me and Richard stopped talking and all. But I need you to let him know I still love and care for him. I wish him well. And Paul....tell him I wish things could have been a little differently. But that I will never hold anything against him."

"You're staying. Aren't you?" He asked.

I nodded and looked down at my hands. "I need my life back. I just need a little help with a few things. Help a friend in need?"

He smiled and leaned over, giving me a peck on the lips. "I will."
..

Three Months Later

December 20th, 1973

"Mommy! Aunt Emily is here!" Anita ran to the door, opening it wide. I giggled and picked her up as Emily walked in, holding presents in her hands.

"Merry early Christmas! There's my favorite Niece!"

She walked over to the small tree and grabbed Ani from my arms.

"Look at you Em. You're starting to show!" I smiled.

"I know! It's still all too new. But, I see you and Ani getting along so well it...it just gets me excited to have one of my own."

I kissed her cheek and grabbed her hand. "I'm so glad you came by. Come on, Ani made some cookies."

Life back in L.A was amazing. I missed everything about this place. The music scene. The shops. The livelyhood of the people. I owe it all to John. He helped me find this place. He even helped me out with furniture costs and buying a new guitar. He was a great friend. That didn't stop us from sharing a few more cozy nights after all our hard work. We kept in touch. Especially after everything we shared.

It was a few days before Christmas and Emily was spending the holiday with us while her boyfriend stayed in New York with his band.

"So, anything new happen lately?" Emily asked, sitting at the table with Anita in her lap.

"Not really. Just you know, playing at the club, taking care of Ani, Martha having puppies...."

She nearly choked on her cookie. "W...What!!??"

I laughed. "Just two weeks ago she had em. Six to be exact. Want to see?"

"You have baby Marthas and you weren't going to offer me one!?"

"I was going to mention it soon. You just got here!"

"Mommy said I can keep one. The rest we have to give away." Ani pouted.

"Baby we can't keep all of these puppies. Damn Martha and her breeding." I huffed. Emily giggled as she was led to the laundry room. Martha napping on a pillow while her puppes crawled around, making small whimpering noises.

"Oh my god they're so cute! Can I have one?? Please?" Emily sat on the floor, picking one up. I laughed.

"You're already having a baby!"

"I want another one. Look at you aren't you the cutest little thing!" Emily baby talked. Anita giggled and kissed Martha's head.

"Five...I thought you said she had six." Emily said, picking up another.

"She did. I just happened to give one away already." I smiled to myself.

"Martha you sneaky devil. Shes having a good time too I see. You naughty little girl."

I burst out laughing and shook my head. "I need to go down to get a few groceries. Watch Ani for me?"

"Of course I will." Em said in baby talk, holding a puppy up to her face. I rolled my eyes and smiled, making my way out of the room. I grabbed the letter I had resting on the kitchen counter, grabbing my keys and heading out of the building.
...

I stared at the letter as I sat in the car.

I won't waste any time letting you know who sent you the surprise gift. A little girl. Name her what you'd like. She's a cute one. Think of it as a peace offering. Take care of her as you would a child. Our child.
     Love, S.

I closed the envelope and got out of the vehicle, heading into the post office. I sent it on its way and made my way to the grocery store.

I was humming and looking at the labels on the milk when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and dropped the basket I was carrying. His hair hanging over his brown eyes. Jeans and t shirt. Tall, guitar case in hand.

"Sadie. Is that really you??" He asked.

I felt my eyes water as I stared at him. "Y...you're alive. David you're so tall."

He laughed and looked down. "I guess I am. A little over ten years yeah?"

I nodded and leaned up, wrapping my arms around his neck. "I never thought I'd see you again. I asked around and nobody knew what happened to you."

"I'm here Sadie." He rubbed my back as he held me. I pressed my body against his until he backed up a little and looked down. "You're pregnant."

I looked down and then back at him. "Yeah. I am."

"You're married." He said. I shook my head and wiped my eyes.

"Never have been."

"Then who's the father?"

I couldn't help laughing and shaking my head. "You'll never believe me even if I told you."
..............