Chapter 11.

Richard let me go quickly and froze as John just watched us compose ourselves. Martha was sitting on the sofa, watching the entire scene.

“Richard? Whats this?” He asked.

“I um…this is Sadie. Paul’s guest.” He smiled awkwardly. I bit my lip and nodded. John just turned to me, waiting for me to explain.

“I’m a friend of Paul’s…He didn’t tell me he would be having anyone come over today.”

“I see. Well he asked me to meet him here. He didn’t mention anything about a girl.”

Me and Richard just stayed silent and let the awkward vibe take over the room. The front door opened and soon, everyone let out a sigh of relief to see Paul. He closed the door and slowed down his walk as soon as he saw all of us standing around.

“Paul? Who’s this?” John asked pointing at me.

Paul sighed and sat down. “John, this is Sadie. Sadie, this is John. Sadie is staying with me for a little while until she can get back on her feet. She’s erm…an old friend.” He scratched the back of his head. I could tell by the look on John’s face, he wasn’t buying it.

“An American bird?”

“So what if she’s an American bird? John this is really none of your business.” Paul glared at him. John just held up his hands in defeat and let it go.

“It’s nice to meet you John. I um…I’m going up now.” I motioned upstairs. “Richard are you coming?”

“Looks like he was getting ready too.” John scoffed. “Is this where you’ve been lately Starkey?”

Paul sighed and nodded for us to go up. “Come on John. Let’s just get to what we had goin on.”

Richard followed me up the stairs and soon we were in the safety of my room. We sat on the bed in silence and turned to one another, staring awkwardly into each others eyes.

“They meet up sometimes at one of their flats to practice or share lyrics......That really dampened the romanticism of what was going on just before we got here yeah?” He laughed. I nodded and reached for his hand, squeezing tightly.

“Richard, maybe this will be a good time for us to get to know one another a little more. I mean, I cant go back down there. Not right now. And I’m sure you don’t want to go down being bombarded with tons of questions from your friends.”

He nodded and held my hand tighter. “Sadie I just want you to know that, I’m not using you. I really, genuinly like you. You’re something else and to be honest, you look at me differently than anyone I know. People think of me as some kind of dumb drummer or that nice friend who isn’t really a man at all. Like I just exist to be a part of this band. Sure there are birds who want me…I mean sexually or romantically but, they never think of me much as a person. But you…you do. Just the way you talk to me and actually enjoy my company rather than just sending me away…”

“Like the way the others do?” I asked. He nodded silently and sighed.

“Don’t tell the mates yeah? I mean I love the band and all but, I cant help feeling a little left out of the creative business of it all. Sometimes they can be pricks and just tell me to buzz off or go on and do my own thing.” He shrugged.

I leaned over and pecked his lips. “More time with me then.” I let a small smile take over my lips.

He kissed me again and moved in more, our bodies pressing together and molding as one. I pulled back after minutes of losing air.

“Richard…wait.”

“I’m sorry I forgot we were supposed to be talking…”

“No I need to….” I ran over to the restroom and fell to my knees, puking my guts out into the toilet. I felt my hair being held back as I went at it again and again and again. My stomach hurt by the time I finished. Groaning, Richard helped me to my feet and handed me my tooth brush. “Thank you.” I said breathlessly.

He left the room to let me refresh myself. When I finished, I turned the light off and walked into the bedroom slowly to see Richard laying down, his eyes closed and soft music coming from the record player. Quietly getting on the bed, I moved into his arms and moved my arms around his torso. I shut my eyes and smiled to feel his warm arms hold me tight.

“Richard?”

“Yes?”

“How long can we be like this?”

It was silent for a few seconds. Then he spoke. “As long as you’d like.”

..

We napped for a few hours. It was nine by the time we awoke and spent some time talking about ourselves. I told him about my job in L.A. My mom and sister. My small apartment and how my dad died in the war. I didn’t have much to say to be honest. I couldn’t help feeling a bit embarrassed at how small my life sounded compared to his. He told me his life wasn’t all it seemed to be. He loved being a drummer. It was what he was most passionate about. He just so happened to be a Beatle. I loved his honesty and how much he told. All from being a sick child, to being here with me. His marriage, children, career, friends….

“I should get goin. I have a free night with the wife.” He said. I nodded and watched him grab his coat off the end of a chair.

“Richard?”

“Yes?”

“Will I see you tomorrow?”

He smiled and walked over, kissing my forehead. “Of course. I love talking with you. It’s a load off me mind.”

I giggled and stood up, walking with him out the door, downstairs and to the living room where Paul sat alone, watching tv. He looked over at us with an annoyed look.

“I see you two are finally coming down from your little marathon.”

Richard rolled his eyes and kissed my cheek goodbye, giving a simple nod to Paul before leaving. I closed the door with a stupid smile on my face and lost it when Paul gave me a nasty look.

“Anything wrong dear?” I asked.

“What when on up there?”

I sighed and shook my head. “Nothing. We napped and then talked. What do you care anyways?”

I went into the kitchen to make myself some tea and be alone. He just followed me and didn’t drop the subject.

“Richard has a wife Sadie. A very loving, sweet wife that loves him very much.”

“I know that Paul. I told you, all we did was nap and talk. That’s the truth.”

“Is it?”

I put my hands on my hips. “You think I’d be that quiet?”

He turned pink and stayed silent. I smiled at this and just turned back to the kettle. “I thought so.”

“I made you an appointment for tomorrow afternoon.”

I turned to him and remembered my own appointment. The audition. I could lie and maybe reschedule to see a doctor some other day.

“Fine Paul.”

“Sadie….why do you like Richard so much?”

“I dunno. He’s not pushy or out to get me.” I glared at him. He sighed.

“You know I have to be Sadie. Don’t do that.”

“You have me here Paul. That’s what you wanted isn’t it?”

He just turned on his heel and left the room, leaving me standing alone.

……………….