Chapter 8

"Lyric!" Ben came sprinting toward the classroom she was heading into and held the door open. "Hey, what's up?"

"Not a lot, you?" Lyric stepped through the door and sat in the neatly organized circle of chairs.

"Just comin' to see my favorite girl!" The chairs scraped against the concrete floor as he sat next to her. Lyric looked over at him and smirked.

"You're favorite girl?"

"Yes, my favorite girl."

Lyric laughed when Ben's face turned a light shade of pink. "Even after what Rory said?"

His face turned back to its normal tanned shade and he smiled. "Even after what Rory said. I know you were trying to tell him I was sorry, it's not like you agree with him. I know you've forgiven me, and that's all that matters."

He gasped a little when Lyric's arms wrapped around his waist. "I love you, you know that?" She pulled away just in time to see Ben's face. He was back to the shade of pink, but darker this time, and his smile reached his eyes.

"Aw, shucks." He chuckled as Lyric sat up straight. The room was filling with the other group members.

"I didn't think I was that early," Lyric whispered. "But I guess it's better than being late."

"Hello, young pupils!" A squeaky voice filled the entire room, silencing everyone. Mrs. Lassuire took her seat in the middle of the circle and cleared her throat, causing her voice to return to its normal pitch. "Ah, Lyric. I see you and your friend aren't angry anymore, I'm glad."

Lyric turned toward Ben, to see that he did the same. "Yeah."

"Well, since everyone already met their student, tell us about your meeting with Mr. Damon!" Suddenly everyone in the room became interested; their eyes searching Lyric for an answer to some unknown question.

"Um, well it didn't really go that well. He, uh, was kind of angry."

"Hmm, how so?"

Lyric pushed a strand of hair out of her face and continued. "Well, he was fine in the beginning, but then he started ranting about how stupid this club is, and how kids aren't able to help other kids their own age. He didn't look at me much either, I saw his back most of the time."

Mrs. Lassuire sat up from her crouched position. "I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe things will settle down once he gets to know you a bit better, eh?"

"Yeah, I guess." Lyric jumped a little when she felt a warm hand enclose around hers and squeeze. She looked toward Ben and saw him mouth, 'It's okay'. She smiled and finally felt comfortable with him holding her hand the way he was. This obviously surprised him, because his eyes widened a bit when Lyric looked forward, but didn't pull her hand away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So, warmin' up to me, huh?" Ben smiled down at Lyric when they left the meeting.

"What do you mean?"

"Letting me hold your hand, tellin' people we're together, you're pretty unpredictable Lyric."

Lyric's mouth dropped a little. "Telling people we're together? Where did you hear that?"

Ben's smile faded, "You mean, you didn't tell anyone? But, everyone knows!"

"Knows....that we're together?"

"Yeah,"

"But, but we're not! R-right?" Lyric looked up at Ben, but he wasn't looking at her anymore.

"Nope."

Lyric was caught off guard by his sudden mood change, but just said, "Okay, well I'm gonna call Rory. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, okay. See you tomorrow Lyric." Ben looked down into her eyes and smiled before they turned separate ways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BING! Lyric's phone beeped, warning her that she had a text message. She got off her bed and took her phone off the charger. BEN said the caller ID. She opened the phone and the message automatically popped up.

Hey

Lyric laughed and flipped her phone so it opened up to her full keyboard.

Couldn't wait till tomorrow, huh?

You know i couldn't! Lyric walked back over to her bed and sat down, replying to every text message she received.

Well you caught me at a good time, i was just about to die from boredom

oh, well we couldn't have that, now could we?

"Hey, Lyric?" Rory's head poked into her room with the smell of ham following him. "Dinner's ready."

"Okay, thanks." The door closed and Lyric popped her phone open again.

Hey, Ben, I gotta go. I'll text you later, k?

Yeah, alright. Bye!

She shut her phone and was about to put it down on her pillow, but it beeped again. "Ben, I told you to I have to go!" She shouted sarcastically at the phone, but when she read the caller ID, she gasped.

Allan! She didn't even read the message he sent her, she just put all emotions she was feeling into that one word.

Hey! Oh my gosh it is so boring here without you!

I miss you so much! I've been meaning to call, but I've been really busy... That was a lie, though. Lyric totally forgot to call Allan, she was too busy with Ben. But she wasn't going to tell her best friend she forgot about him!

Oh don't worry, I've been pretty busy too. And guess what!

What?

Lyric waited for a couple minutes before getting a reply. I got my own place!

Oh Allan! That's great!

I know! And there's an extra room just in case ...a certain someone... wants to come and visit?

Lyric had to cover her mouth with her hand to keep herself from screaming. Of course! I'm free on Saturday, I can drive down there then.

Oh no problem! Well, I have to go. A guy's gotta eat, right?

Yeah, me too. Well, not the guy part. But anyway, I'll see you Saturday!

Yeah. Bye, Lyric

Lyric closed the phone and ran downstairs. "Sorry, sorry!" She laughed when Rory put his hands on his hips and acted all offended because she was late. "Hey, I'm going over to Allan's house Saturday, so I'm gonna leave a little earlier than usual."

"Oh, that's great Hun!"

Lyric smiled, and ate her dinner in a better mood than she was in earlier.