Chapter 37

Two days after we found out about my pregnancy, I was given the first of the two pills to induce an abortion. Two days after that, I was given the second.

'Okay, so you'll start experiencing cramping and bleeding over the next 4 to 6 hours.' Dr Ramirez explained. 'Who's going to be here?'

My dad had refused to let Logan visit me, so I refused to speak to him. As my legal guardian, he had control over my visitors, and he removed Logan from the visiting list. Logan and I spoke on the phone twice daily, but I knew he was struggling with the thought of the abortion. He supported me 100% but we were both grieving nonetheless. I sent Lisa, Frankie and Charlie over to visit him and make sure he was okay.

'No one.' I replied. 'If Logan isn't allowed, I don't want my father here.'

'I don't think that's a good idea, Megan.' Dr Ramirez sighed. 'You should have emotional support through this. Do you have any other friends you could call?'

'Maybe.' I sighed, thinking of Lisa. She'd be here in minutes if I called for her. But she was constantly worried about me, and I don't think she could see me like that. 'Can I walk in the garden?' I asked, referring to the small garden in the hospital, which was intended for long term patients.

'Of course. Come back to your room in an hour or so to change into a hospital gown, and call me when the cramping starts, okay?' Dr Ramirez sighed. 'Are you sure you don't want your father to know it's happening today?'

'I'm sure.' I replied firmly. I had lied to my dad and told him it was tomorrow. If I couldn't do it with Logan, I needed to do this alone.

'I'll see you later, okay?' He smiled before we both left the hospital room. He went to check on his other patients while I walked through the maze of hospital corridors until I found the small garden.

It was half indoors, like a greenhouse with benches and a small water fountain, which is where most people stayed, especially during winter. But I liked the outdoor part. It was quieter and I liked to feel the wind blowing on me, even though it was cold. Sitting down on one of the benches, I closed my eyes, feeling the gentle wind on my face.

Christmas was in 4 days and all the trees in the garden had been decorated with lights or tinsel. I hadn't been able to get anybody Christmas presents yet, and I doubted if I would have time between being discharged and Christmas Day. I had ordered a few things online, but I didn't know what to get anyone. The last few months had been hectic and I doubted buying anyone a present would fix or change anything.

'Megan?' A quiet voice said from behind me. I turned to see my mother standing behind me, wrapped up in a cream trench-coat.

'What are you doing here?' I said, standing up quickly. She stepped towards me and took my hands in hers.

'I missed you Meggy.' She said. 'I wanted to see you.'

'I've been in hospital since Halloween, mum.' I rolled my eyes. 'If you wanted to see me, you would have come before now.'

'I did come, Meggy.' She sighed, gripping my hands tighter as I tried to pull away. 'Your father wouldn't let me see you.'

'Why are you here mum?' I sighed. 'If you're here to accuse me of lying again, I really don't want to hear it.'

'I'm not.' She shook her head, before guiding us both to sit down on the bench. 'I know you're telling the truth.' She confessed.

'You do?' I said, my eyes wide in shock. 'What changed?'

'Nothing Megan.' She said, her voice suddenly shifting. 'I've always believed you.'

'What?' I gasped, trying to stand to get away from her.