Chapter 2

As the bus pulled up outside of Charlie's house, my eyes widened. 'This is where the barbecue is?' I asked, staring up at my childhood home.

'Yeah, Charlie has lived here with his family for about-'

'6 years?' I finished for her.

'Yeah, how did you know?' She asked, slight shock in her eyes.

'This is my old house.' I laughed nervously.

'Ooh that's weird. I wonder what your room looks like now.' She laughed, as we walked up to the door and knocked on it.

'Lisa, come in!' A tall blond said as he opened the door. 'Who's this stunning lady?' He asked with a wink.

'Ew Charlie, Megan is off limits.' Lisa laughed, walking into the house. I glanced around at the house that used to be my home, relieved to find that their decorating style was significantly different to my parents, and it didn't feel too much like I was back in the same house.

'Well, Megan, come in. This is the kitchen, the garden is-'

'I know.' I interrupted. 'I used to live here before we moved away.' I told him and watched his eyes widen in surprise.

'Woah that's cool. What a coincidence!' He laughed. 'Which room was yours?'

'Uh, upstairs on the left.' I mumbled.

'No way, that's my room!' He grinned. 'I guess that means we've technically slept in the same room.' He winked, making Lisa roll her eyes.

'Stop being such a flirt and feed me burgers.' Lisa laughed, grabbing our hands and dragging us into the back garden. 'Oi Frankie!' She yelled at them, their bright blue hair standing out in their crowd.

'No way! Megan French, as I live and breathe. Didn't think I'd ever see you again!' Frankie grinned as they pulled me into a hug.

'Hey Frankie it's good to see you!' I smiled back.

'So you're back in town?' They asked handing me a plate so I could help myself to food. 'For good?'

'Yeah, that's the plan. Other than for university but god knows I haven't got a clue what I'm planning to do.' I laughed.

'Why did you move in the first place?' Frankie asked, taking a bite of their burger and ketchup squirting everywhere.

'My parents broke up.' I replied quickly, before laughing at Frankie's stained shirt, trying to get the attention off of me.

'Oh so you're staying with your mum?' Charlie said. 'My mum is friends with her.'

'She's still in town?' I asked quietly, I always assumed she would have gotten out of this small town at the first chance she got. 'And no. I'm with my dad. Mum and I don't exactly see eye to eye.'

'Yeah Georgia, right?' Charlie clarified. 'She works with my mum at the local newspaper.'

'Oh.' I mumbled. This was a small town and if she was here, it was only a matter of time before we bumped into each other.

'You guys really don't get along, huh?' Lisa frowned.

'I haven't spoken to her in 6 years.' I said biting into a hotdog.

'Damn.' Frankie said, before changing the subject. 'When's Logan getting here?'

'I don't know.' Charlie responded. 'I think Cole is giving him grief again.'

'Dick.' Lisa scoffed. I didn't bother asking because it felt too nosy considering I hadn't met the guy. 'Is there any body else we know here?' She asked Charlie.

'Nah, the rest are mine or my parents friends.' Charlie said. He was a few years older than us and gave off a 'cool guy' aura so I wasn't surprised to see the big group of 18 year olds at the bottom of the garden.

'Do we not count as your friends?' Lisa gasped, in mock offence.

'Nope you're my cousin's annoying entourage. The jury is still out on you though Megan. I'd be thrilled to call you a friend any day.' He winked, a blush creeping onto my cheeks.

'Ew.' Frankie groaned. 'Go annoy your friends.' They ordered, pushing Charlie away.

'Do you guys wanna go sit over there?' Lisa suggested, pointing to a bench near the flower beds. When we got over there, Frankie stared at me slightly.

'I can't believe you're back. You look exactly the same.' They said, with a smile.

'It's really strange. Especially being here.' I said looking up at the bedroom window that used to belong to him.

'This was her old house.' Lisa informed Frankie. 'Such a weird coincidence, huh?'

'Weird.' They laughed. 'Do you think you would have moved back in here if it was available?'

'No.' I answered quickly. 'Too many bad memories.'

'Earlier you seemed surprised that your mum still lives in town. Are you and your dad gonna be okay?' Lisa asked.

'I don't know if my dad even knows she's here. Let's just hope they don't see each other... it could get messy.' I forced a laugh.

'That must suck.' Frankie says comfortingly. 'So what do you like to do Megan?'

'Well, I'm still moving in at the moment so I haven't had much time for hobbies but I like baking.' I smiled. 'Cookies are my favourite comfort food.'

'You'll have to make some for us!' Lisa grinned. 'I'll ring you when it's shark week.'

'Shark week?' I frowned, completely lost.

'Aunt Flo. Satan's waterfall.' Lisa laughed.

'Oh my gosh.' I laughed. 'Of course. I'll start taking requests.'

'Put me down for a dozen of every type.' Frankie laughed, patting their belly dramatically. Suddenly, Frankie sat up straighter, looking behind me and waved. 'Logan's here.'

'Hey guys.' A deep voice said from one behind me. I turned to see a guy with floppy brown hair, dressed in a white shirt and leather jacket. 'Who are you?' He said looking at me, a frown on his face.

'Megan.' I mumbled, suddenly feeling very unwanted.

'Logan, this is our friend Megan, she moved away a few years ago, but she's just moved back.' Lisa said, scooting over on the bench so he could sit between me and Lisa.

'Okay.' He said, running a hand through his hair. 'You guys wanna smoke?' I could tell he wasn't talking about tobacco.

'Bad day?' Frankie laughed. 'I'll go get the grinder.'

'Do you smoke Meg?' Lisa asked. I shook my head, and Logan scoffed.

'Of course she doesn't, such a princess.' Logan laughed.

'Don't call me that.' I blurted out quickly. I couldn't help but spiral from there.

'Such a good girl, my princess.'

'You make me so happy, princess.'

'Princess Meggy, my favourite girl.'

Suddenly I felt nauseous. His words haunted me, reminding me of what he did to me.

'Logan, don't be so rude.' Lisa said, slapping his arm. He just scoffed, watching me.

'So princess, why are you here?' He asked.

'Don't call me that.' I spat. 'I'm here catching up with my friends, do you have a problem with that?'

His eyebrow raised as he looked at me cockily. 'Ooh princess has some fire.'

'Look, I get you are having a rough day, but you don't get to take it out on me. I haven't done anything wrong. I'm not going to let you talk to me like that.' I spat, standing up and walking into the house.

Frankie looked at me confused, as I passed him. 'Megan? Where are you-'

'Toilet.' I replied quickly, before shutting myself in.