Chapter 29

Logan's POV

My mum slept soundly, finally feeling better after a night of vomiting. Cole must have poisoned her, that was the only explanation for what happened. They had given me the antidote in exchange for Megan.

Seeing the betrayal in her eyes was earth shattering. I would never forgive myself for doing that to her, leaving her with them. She said she didn't blame me, because she made the same choice but how could she not? I tricked her and left her with rapists.

Megan had been dealing with this for a month, all on her own. We should have known from her sudden change, we should have asked more. Maybe she would have spilled. But then again she kept it secret for my mum. For me. She didn't even know my mum, yet she'd give up herself for her. Megan was too good for this world, too good for me.

'What's wrong sweet cheeks?' Aunty Mandy said as I walked into her living room.

'I messed up, Mand. I don't think there's anything I can do to fix it this time.'

'With that Megan girl?' She frowned. 'Please tell me you didn't cheat again Logan. I thought you were better than that.'

'No... I just messed up. I put her in a bad situation and she got hurt.' I sighed.

'I can tell you aren't going to tell me, but just know i'm here if you need advice.' Mandy smiled softly. 'Lunch?'

'Yes please. Do you need help?' I offered as we both walked into the kitchen.

'Nah just sit there and look pretty.' Mandy winked.

'Easiest job in the world.' I laughed.

'So modest, sweet cheeks.' Mandy said pulling out ingredients for a sandwich. 'How's your mum doing?'

'Much better than last night.' I said. 'She's sleeping right now, but when we talked earlier she was okay.'

'The withdrawals are going to be bad. I've been researching, Logan, I don't think we can do it just us. We need a professional to help.'

'Do you think we can convince her to go to rehab?' I asked quietly.

'If Cole's out of the way, then maybe?' Mandy suggested. 'If anyone can convince her it's you. She's not been the perfect mother, but she loves you.'

'I don't think her love for me is enough.' I sighed, years of coming second to her addiction brimming to the surface. 'She chose the drugs when I was a kid, why would she choose me now?'

'Because you hurt the girl you love for her?' Mandy said with raised eyebrows.

'How did you-'

'I'm not stupid, Logan. You came over with your mum dangerously ill, then you were running around like a headless chicken, coming in and out all night. Now she's suddenly okay?' Mandy said handing me a sandwich. 'I know Cole did something to her and based on what you said about Megan, I'm guessing she had something to do with the solution.'

'It was bad, Mandy.' I whispered, trying not to cry. 'She couldn't even look at me.'

'Sweetcheeks, whatever happened, I'm sure she'll forgive you eventually. You love each other, things will work out.'

'I hope so.' I forced a smile.

'Chin up, Logan. It's going to be okay.'

'Thanks Mandy.' I smiled, before pulling my buzzing phone out of my pocket. 'Lisa?' I answered.

'Logan, oh my god. Please tell me Megan is with you?' Her voice was frantic.

'I haven't seen her in a few hours.' I whispered. 'What's wrong?'

'Henry found a diary in her room.' Lisa breathed. 'Benji has been blackmailing her and hurting her for a month. She's suicidal Logan. She wrote a suicide note yesterday.'

'What?' I gasped, a pain in my chest.

'She came by Charlie's house to apologise, Logan. She was saying goodbye. Oh my god.' Lisa was hyperventilating, and I gripped the doorframe dizzy with shock and fear.

'I shouldn't have left her.' I mumbled, picking up my keys and running out of the house. 'Lisa I saw her this morning, by Creek Bridge.'

'Why was she there?' Lisa frowned.

'Benji.' I answered. 'Lisa I didn't know she wanted to kill herself, I left her there alone.'

'Shit.' She swore. 'Are you going there now?'

'It was three hours ago. But i'll look.' I sighed, a feeling of dread in my stomach. 'Call me if you hear anything.'

I thought about calling a taxi but by the time it arrived, I could already have been at the bridge so I decided to sprint.

The wind was picking up by the time I arrived, the river rough and loud.

'Megan!' I yelled, looking around desperately. She wouldn't still be here right? It had been hours. 'Megan! Where are you?'

Other than my rapid breathing and the sound of the water crashing in the wind, I couldn't hear anything.

'Excuse me?' An unfamiliar voice said as a young woman was running up to me. 'Are you looking for someone?'

'Yes. My girlfriend. She's not in a good place, I need to find her.' I rushed out in a panic.

'A teenager was pulled out from the river a few hours ago and taken to the hospital.' She smiled sadly.

'Was she okay?' My voice was desperate, and even though I barely had any information, I knew deep down that it was her.

'Still alive but badly injured, when they left.'

'What hospital?' I asked, trying to ignore the pit in my stomach.

'I don't know, the closest one probably. My brother was the one that pulled her out. He went with her in the ambulance.'

'Thank you.' I nodded before pulling out my phone to call Henry.

'Logan? Have you found her?' Henry's voice was trembling and he was clearly crying.

'I went back to where I saw her this morning, by Creek Bridge. A teenager was pulled out of the river a few hours ago and taken to hospital by ambulance. Badly injured but alive when they left.' I repeated in an urgent rush.

'Which hospital?' Henry asked, his voice determined yet still so weak.

'I don't know.' I replied meekly.

'Call round all the local hospitals.' Henry ordered. 'I'll start in the centre and move out towards London, you go the opposite direction.'

I barely had time to reply before Henry had hung up. Finding the numbers of the hospitals, I started dialling praying for some good news.