Video Memories

AUTHORS NOTE:
this was originally posted on my oneshot book, so if this sounds familiar that could be why.

wrote by -JUSTJENNIE
surprised? don't be 😁

𝗔𝗴𝗲𝘀: 𝟭𝟮-𝟭𝟳

𝗦𝗵𝗶𝗽: 𝗪𝗮𝗶𝘁 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘀𝗲𝗲,
𝗱𝗼𝗻'𝘁 𝗯𝗲 𝗶𝗺𝗽𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗲𝗻𝘁

𝗪𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀: 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵,
𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝗮𝗻 𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗱𝗶𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗱𝗲𝗿
𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗼𝗳 𝗱𝗲𝗽𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻.

"Jonah?" The mother of his deceased friend asked from his best friends doorframe, a box in her grasp. "He left these for you"

She placed a cardboard box besides the tearful teen, everyone dressed in all black because of the funeral that had previously occurred.

"He would want you to have them" She swallowed back her tears, leaving the room before she could cry for the hundredth time that awful day.

Jonah glanced at the box next to him, on the top was his name wrote in black marker, it was his best friends handwriting.

Sighing, he grabbed his keys from his suit pocket and cut open the thick tape that was on the box, opening it with ease.

Looking inside, there were just black video tapes and one single camera.

He recognised the camera as a birthday gift he had gotten for his best friend.

Shakily he picked up the camera, looking at it with tears in his eyes, memories flooding back to him.

Remembering how obsessed Jack was with that single less black camera.

The pair were twelve, nobody had attended Jack's birthday party except for Jonah. The theme was spider-man and both boys were dressed as the iconic character, as they ate the vanilla cake at the outdoor table, a brunette boy with a blue balloon waves from behind the small picket fence.

"Hello! I'm Zach and my mommy told me to bring you a balloon because it's your birthday, can you let me in please?" The then nine year old boy asked, jumping up and down with excitement.

Jack's mother opened the back gate and the young boy rushed through, waving goodbye to his mother who was watching from the Herron families front door.

"You must be the one of the Herron's child" Kristin smiled. "I spoke to your mommy at the grocery store yesterday"

"She told me" The boy had a toothy grin. "She wanted me to say she's sorry for not getting Jack a birthday present"

"That's fine!" The birthday boy smiled, Jonah's smile as fake as most people's happiness. "Would you like some cake? It's vanilla! My big sister baked it for me"

The younger boy gasped, quickly nodding his head and running over to the two boys.

"Here's your balloon! Don't let it fly away because that wouldn't be good" The two boys giggled, Jonah shoving cake in his mouth.

Later that night, Zach had to go back home. Kristin watched the little boy run out of the back gate, across the empty road and into his own house where his mother was waiting.