Chapter 7

We park the car and get out. I keep my head down and walk towards the wimpy, before we enter, Ryan's phone rings. I turn my head towards him as he glances at the caller ID. "Oh come on!" He cries out while running a hand through his hair, he gives me a distressed look. "Go take a seat. I'm gonna just take this."

He walks away from me trying to put distance between us. Probably so that I can't hear him, I take a step towards the door and I hear him answer the phone. "Come on Jack..." with that, I push through the door and am hit with the smell of burgers and chips and coffee and just mouth watering scents.

My stomach grumbles and aches even more. "Good morning, table for one?" My attention turns from my needy stomach to the waitor that stands before me with a menu.

I shake my head. "For two please..." I say slowly, it's been so long since I've been in a restaurant that is not Rosie's diner.

"Right this way." He gives me a smile and turns on his heels leading the way. I spare Ryan another look out the window. He paces infront of the wimpy while speaking furiously over the phone but looking nervous at the same time. I turn back around and hang my head as I follow the waitor to a table in the corner quite secluded from everyone else.

I take a seat as the waitor  whose name tag reads 'Jeffrey', places two menus on either side of the table I grab the one, and out the corner of my eye I see his gaze drops to my scared hands. I try to ignore it but I get self-conscious and retract them from the menu. You'd think I've gotten used to the stares but I haven't.

"Sorry I didn't mean to stare." He stutters and I just mumble an acknowledgement, he clears his throat. "Okay so today's special is the sunrise breakf-"

Ryan plops himself on the other side of the table and I lift my face to him. His green eyes look hurt and his cheeks are flushed. He mumbles something under his breath which I don't catch. "Anyways the breakfast consists of-"

Ryan huffs and throws his head back. "Just go away..." my eyes widen and Jeffrey stiffens next to me. "Please." Ryan adds as he looks back up at our shocked faces.

"Very well..." Jeffrey looks at me. "Signal for me when you are ready to order." With that he is gone like the wind.

My anger and disgust rises to the surface. "What the hell was that for? Treat waitors with respect, you asshole! We're only trying to make ends meet." I blurt out, more trying to get my frustration out more than anything else.

His eyes shift and he bites his lip, my gaze shifts to his lips and I see they are a bit plump for a guy. I wonder what-.

"I'm sorry..." he rubs his face. "Fucking Jack..." my anger dissipates almost instantly. Almost. "He told my dad... now my dad is watching me like a hawk..." he blows out a breath and I catch a whiff of his fresh breath.

I reach out my hand to touch his arm. As soon as I do, he looks at my hand as if I just shocked him. I begin to pull my hand away when he grabs my hand. "I'm sorry..." he rubs my hands softly with his thumbs. The simple touch sends shockwaves throughout my body.

I decide to be bold. I take his other hand and look into those green gems. He tightens his grip on my hands. "Don't be sorry." I whisper. "I'm sorry too... I blew my frustration out on you..." he looks at me with such an intensity that my body feels like it has pins and needles.

I wonder if he feels it too. His eyes drop and my heart drops with them. He stares at my hands And traces the marks. I look down at them too, I take a breath as he flips them over to inspect my palms. "I tried to save her... I-" my words get stuck in my throat and I feel his eyes flick back up to my face.