Chapter 2

Well... to say that everybody was unusually quiet, would be an understatement. Even Coach Davis was rattled. He was stuttering out orders and also he just had a look of shock on his face. Sooo... to be honest... our class was not the same.

He quickly excused us and walked out so fast I thought that he would leave one flip flop behind him in his rush. The class was shortened by a big chunk of time. Everyone is going to their lockers and changing back into the uniform.

I stay there transfixed to this guy I have just met. But I see people glancing over their shoulders, but I'm not sure if they are looking at him and wondering about his scars on his back or my burn and surgical scars.

Me? I'm sitting on the edge of the pool looking, no more like staring, at the guy on the other end of the pool. He hasn't moved and I feel the need to be closer. I stand up and walk closer. "Mia!" I hear a harsh whisper.

I frown and look at Sara motioning me to come. But I shake my head, she opens her mouth to ask or say something but I turn my attention back to him. I take tentative steps towards him and as I get closer he must hear the pitter patter of my feet because he looks at my burnt ankles before he lifts his gaze higher.

His eyes look up at me and woah... they are green like grass with subtle blue hints but they are filled with sadness and some darkness in them. "Ummm... hi..." I say awkwardly and I internally kick myself for being such a bright spark...

He looks at me with a dull expression. "What do you want?" He snaps at me and I'm taken aback.

"Well... um... I... I just-" I try to put a sentence together but my brain is just all mushed together.

"What? You just what? Want to know? Huh?" He gets up and I just stand there dumbfounded. That's not what I was trying to do.

"No... I was... um... I..." I sound like a fool.

"Well fuck off would ya!" He storms off towards the locker rooms and just before he enter he shouts back one last thing. "And mind your own fucking business!" He disappears into the locker rooms and I just stand in place letting the water drip off of me.

"I just wanted to say hi..." I say softly, more to comfort myself than anything else.

"Mia! What the hell were you thinking?!" Sara shouts at me as she storms towards me, her wet black hair sticks to her face. She grabs my arm and pulls me towards the change room.

"I just wanted to introduce myself..." I mumble to her and she helps me get back into uniform, seeing as I am just about getting hypothermia.

"Ya but did you see what I saw?" She asks as she passes me a towel to dry my black bob hair. I nod my head as I rub the towel through my hair. "Then why the hell did you try to speak to him?"

I shrug. "I know... but... I also know how it feels to be alone and to be gossiped about." She shakes her head with an expression she knows I don't appreciate, so I turn my head away and she gets herself dressed.

Once dressed and dry enough, it's time for our next class. She has biology and I have drama.

I get to my locker and get my books, as I walk to the class I page through my textbook to see what I should expect today. Today is a two-person group lesson where we have to play out a scene that the we agree on. I wonder who I'm going to be paired with.

I get into my class and see everybody is gathered in one corner whispering and giving suspicious glances over their shoulders. I look to where they are looking at and see our drama teacher in front of the class with... with Ryan... I don't go to the group of gossiping idiots, instead I just wait to see what our teacher is going to say.