Chapter 4

Sara's head pops inside and my heart slows a bit. Tears are still running down my cheeks as she climbs inside next to me. She opens her arms and I bury myself into her. I sob louder and she rubs my back trying to calm me.

"Shhhh, Mia... it's okay... you're okay..." she coos at me and I slowly stop sobbing. The bell rings but we don't even try to move. "What happened? I saw you running and I called out to you but I don't think you heard me... I knew you'd be here..."

I pull back and explain what happened in class, she nods her head understanding why I ran my legs off. She's always been very supportive and understanding.

"I think I should take you home, Mia..." I shake my head. I can't go home. Nobody is there, my thoughts will be plagued by my sister's dead body and seeing my parents bodies. That night. The night that became one of my main reasons for who I am. A scared and very reluctant to trust others kinda person.

"I can't go home... my thoughts will haunt me... my demons will come back to the surface. The demons I finally got to be quiet." She nods her head before leading me out from under the stairs. She passes me a tissue for me to wipe my eyes and blow my nose.

"Well, where are you going to go?" She asks me and I sigh.

"I'll go to the diner and see if I can pick up a shift there... besides Kathryn needs to buy groceries for the week, and every little bit counts." I wipe my eyes and nose.

"Mia. You're exhausted! You can't go to work! You'll kill yourself!" She puts a hand on her hip, I hear footsteps rushing towards us but I suppose they are heading to the stairs.

"Well at this stage in my life I already feel dead..." I say to her. Her mouth drops and her eyes hold so much hurt in them. "I mean I am living off tips at the moment... and the only nice tips I get are from creepy men and women. What kind of life is that to live? So yeah I already am-"

The footsteps stop and now a figure stands not far away. "Mia?" The voice calls out. I squint my eyes to see who it is but the light from behind them makes it impossible. I give up trying, Sara just stares at me.

"Who wants to know?" I ask, not wanting to speak to anyone right now.

The person walks closer and only when they enter the darkness of the corner by the stairs do I see who it is. Ryan.

Sara stares at me but I shrug. "Yeah Ryan?" I ask wanting to get out of this school and just go to work, get my mind off of things and make some money.

"Are you okay?" His green eyes are full of concern. "I've been looking for you, ever since you ran out." I raise an eyebrow. "I heard you speaking and headed towards your voice."

"Wait... how much did you hear?" I ask feeling a bit ashamed to know he might've heard some of the things I only share with Sara.

He chews his bottom lip and I know he probably heard the last part of what I was saying. I hang my head and walk away from them. I'm not far when someone grabs my arm, I slowly turn towards the arm and see it's Ryan. "Don't. Please. You're the only one who understands." He says softly to me.

I'm torn between wanting to rip my arm out of his grip and run away but I also want him to want me to stay with him, does that even make sense? Sara just stares at the scene unfolding in front of her.

"What do you want Ryan?" I ask with a sigh.

"Let me atleast drive you home and to work. You can't walk in this weather." My heart warms at the gesture but I don't want him to see me like this, only a handful of people have ever seen me like this.

I begin to shake my head but Sara stops me. "Let him drive you Mia. I know you don't want me to, because it'll put more stress on my family." I stare at her. Am I that transparent. "I know you Mia. You would sacrifice yourself rather than let others help you knowing they will be put under more pressure."

I sigh deeply already giving up on trying to persuade them to let me walk. "Fine. But can someone grab my bag, please?" I ask. Sara rushes off towards my class where my bag was left without another word.

Silence settles between me and Ryan. He finally lets go of my arm after realizing that he was still holding it. "Mia... don't listen to them... they don't know what happened... people just assume that they know."

I don't answer. I stay silent.

Sara comes back with my bag and gives it to me. She gives me a hug and says goodbye. Ryan leads the way to his car and I follow behind him.

He stops at a red car that is under trees, providing some protection from the rain. He unlocks the car and opens the door for me to get in. I say my thanks as he closes the door. He jogs round to the driver's door and hops in.

"I'm new to town so you'll have to give me directions to where you live." I nod my head as he starts the car. Before pulling away he curses under his breath before looking sheepishly at me. "Um... I need to... just... uh let someone know I'm leaving the school..."

I frown but nod my head letting him know I'm fine with it. He pulls out his phone and dials a number, he looks nervously at me before forcing a smile. "Hello... yes... uhhh I just want to inform you that I will be leaving the school grounds, stopping at someone's house and then at a diner..." so much information to tell this person?

"Um yes... I'm taking a girl home because-" the person on the other end begins to talk so loudly that I can hear his angry voice.

"Dammit Ryan! Why are taking a girl home?! Do you have any idea what he would say if he hears that you left the school to take a girl home?!" The man yells at Ryan.

Ryan shoots me a embarrassed look before looking away. "Look. I will go back to school as soon as I am done. I will explain the situation to my dad, it's fine. I'm just letting you know." The voice goes softer and I can't hear what's being said. "Yeah yeah, I know Jack... I know." He sighs and rubs his temples. "Okay bye."

He ends the call and pulls away. I don't ask. I know when the person wants to, they will share what they feel they want to share.

I give him directions to my house and it's not long before we pull up to the sad looking house. "I just need to change into my work uniform... come inside, you can sit on the couch while I change upstairs..." I offer even though I hate the thought of him seeing my house, internally I pray that he refuses my offer.

He nods his head and we get out. I walk to the door and put the key in the door, my hands are trembling. Nobody has seen my house except Sara. I take a breath and open the door.

Ryan stays silent, taking in the faded and just sad looking house. The wallpaper is peeling off the walls, the couch he is supposed to sit on is faded and has holes. The mat has missing patches and is covered in toys. The stairs don't have their railing anymore.

He stares at a burnt and torn teddy on the makeshift shelf. "That was my sister's..." I say softly. He turns to say something but I run up the stairs leaving no chance for him to say something.

Upstairs, I realise how stupid I was to let him into the house. The house holds too many things, things that should never be spoken about nor seen.

Now, I know what you're going to say... "How could she let him into her house?" Well the truth is, she probably did not think at all.
I hope you are enjoying the book so far.