Chapter 16

I take a breath and surprisingly I can breathe. Ryan.

My eyes fly open and I find myself floating, like literally floating in the river and it's dark now. I begin to paddle my way to shore and I find my shoulder really really hurts.

I curse as I pull myself out of the muddy water. I sit on the grass and inspect myself, I see my shirt is stained red over my left shoulder. I lift up the fabric and hiss out in pain as I see a gaping hole.

I bite my teeth and lift up my arm to see if I can still use it. It hurts but I can still move it at least.

I grit my teeth even harder as I stand up and start to climb back up the hill that caused my pain firstly. The wind picks up and I begin to shiver.

I need to get home, patch myself up and find Ryan.

Now I remember when we were talking he almost said where he was staying. Bultf... that could be Bultfon which is pretty nearby, is an extremely small town. It seems like the perfect place to be kept safe.

I get home and I feel really sleepy. I know that's not good. Taking off my soaked sneakers at the door, I creep into the house. I have no clue what the time is or how long I was out for. All I know is that I drifted pretty far down the river and it took me forever to walk back home.

I make it into my shared room, but Vicky is not there. Grabbing clean clothes, I go back downstairs to the bathroom.

I carefully peel my shirt off of my body and remove my bra. I ain't putting one on again until this thing is healed. I turn in the mirror to see another hole in the back, so it went through atleast.

I flush it with an antiseptic and almost pass out from the pain. Pushing the toilet lid down, I plop myself down. I don't know how I'm going to get through this.

I shake my head and look through our cupboards for anything that will help. I find a needle and thread. Well... this is going to be extremely painful.

...

It's starting to get light now, I've been drifting in and out of consciousness. Every time I come around, I stitch a bit more until I pass out again.

Finally it's done.

I smear some ointment on the front and back, then place plasters on them. I clean up as much blood as I can but it is really just so much blood.

There's a knock at the door.

I freeze still basically soaked and naked. "Mia? Is that you?" I blow out a breath.

"Yeah it's me, Kathryn." I pull on another shirt and pick up my bloody shirt. I try to clean up as fast as I can.

"I need to get ready, Mia..." she says urgently from the other side.

"I'm almost done." I wipe the basin with my washcloth and exit, taking it with me.

"Are you okay?" She asks as I sway slightly past her.

"Yeah... I'm just tired..." she mumbles a response and I go upstairs. I hide the shirt under my bed and change my pants. Pulling on my shoes, I look at my old phone. Seeing as my other phone was smashed and now is somewhere at the bottom of the river.

I make my way to the butcher to try and work before I go and look for Ryan. We still have a deadline...

...

Man this thing hurts like a real bitch. I work as best as I can but I am extremely slow.

Everyone keeps asking if I'm okay and I just nod my head. Packing meat into freezers and then pricing them takes me forever.

By the time I'm done. I just want to go home and lie down. But I can't. I have to find Ryan.

I have no money on me though, so I am going to do something that I said I would never do...

"Aunt Bets... I have a problem..." I say as I lean against the back door, she looks up at me with concerned eyes. She motions me to come inside and into her office, I follow her and flop onto the chair. "My boyfriend is in trouble..." tears sting my eyes as I know exactly how much trouble he is in, then it dawns on me...

I am in just as much trouble as he is, my eyes widen and my mouth suddenly goes dry. I know their secret... I'm now a target.

"Mia?" Bets waves a hand infront of me. "What do you need sweetie?"

I take a breath and look at her. "Can I please borrow-"

The bell at the counter rings, I look through the one way glass at the person standing by the counter. And my eyes bulge.

"Shit." I whisper and drop to the floor, my breathing becomes erratic and Bets is about to ask me what's wrong but I signal her to be quiet. She eyes me skeptically but remains quiet as told.

She goes out to help Creepy Chris, I hold my breath as I listen to their conversation.

"Good day ma'am. I'm looking for my nephew's girlfriend? Mia?" I gulp and a sweat breaks out across my forehead.

"Oh Mia, yes what about her?" My heart is going to climb out of my chest.

"Well, my nephew got hurt and he is asking about her." Bullshit. I want to scream, but instead, I clench my fists.

"Well, she was supposed to come to work this morning but she never pitched. Is the boy okay?" I breathe out a sigh of relief.

"So she hasn't been here ma'am?" He insists.

"No, she normally is on time for her job." He grumbles something that I don't catch. "Sorry mister, do you have a cellphone number that I can call if she pitches up?" He reads her a number. "Good luck and please send my regards." He exits the shop and I feel a bit of tension leave my body.

Bets reappears. "Now, Mia." She says softly. "What's going on?"

I shake my head. "I don't want you to get pulled into it, Aunty." She sighs and nods. "I just wanted to ask if I can borrow some money for a taxi, please... so that I can try and find him..."

She digs in a draw and pulls out R150. I give her a big hug and make my way out the back door.

"Aunty?" I ask as tears fill my eyes again. She hums a response. "If... if it goes wrong..." I swallow hard. "If it doesn't go according to plan... please give the money that I worked to my Aunt, Kathryn..." she holds her chest as her own tears spill over her chubby cheeks.

"Oh Mia..." she pulls me into a bear hug and I grunt at the pressure on my shoulder. "What in the world have you gotten yourself in?"

That's the thing... I don't know myself...

What have I gotten myself into?

Can you guess what she has gotten herself into? I, myself, didn't see it coming. I'm currently on Chapter 40 and boy, oh boy. I hope your hearts are ready for many, many unexpected twists.
Tehehe
On a personal note, since my grandma (ouma) passed away in April, I've been putting all my heart and soul into this book and my other one but that's besides the point. I know my books aren't that popular, but I really hope you are enjoying the book because I am enjoying it immensely.
Stay safe and stay strong.