Chapter 17

I'm sitting in a crowded taxi, so many people squished into a small space like this can not be legal.

"Eh. Next stop is Bultfon." I rip my my good arm free from the very voluptuous lady next to me and wave my hand furiously. "Okay... we stop here."

He stops on the side of the road and I squeeze out of the tin can. "Thanks." I say as I gently rub my shoulder. I pay him and he proceeds on his journey.

I roll my shoulders and survey the area. I have no clue where on earth I am nor where to start looking. My stomach grumbles and my arm aches from the confined space.

Looking at my money, I see I have R100 left. So roughly R50 for a trip, so then I have R50 for maybe something to eat and pain pills?

I begin walking, following the signs that point to the central business district. I find a little Checkers, and if I thought ours was small... this one is microscopical.

I manage to find a small bottle of panado and a stale sandwich of sorts. Well, I had to take the stale sandwich to be able to afford the bottle of water.

I sigh as I pay, I basically just have money to get back home and nothing else.

I scarf down the sandwich, which was extremely dry, I down some water and drink 2 pain tablets.

...

I find the local school but don't see the red car, I sigh deeply and sit down on the pavement, trying to figure out how I can find him.

Of course, school is out... it's probably way past 3... but without a phone and watch, it's impossible to know.

Movement to my right pulls me out of my daydream, and I snap my head up to the figure, getting out of the car.

I stand up and look. Only to realise it's that bloody Patrick again, his black hair hangs limply in his face.

"You just won't give up, do you?" I begin backing away as he moves towards me.

This time, I'm in a town that I don't know, meaning I don't know any hiding places or my way around the streets. "What do you want with Ryan?" I ask through gritted teeth.

I see a bunch of houses all around me, or I could try and-

"Now Mia... that's none of your damn business..." he pulls that gun from his waistband but doesn't raise it. "Now... are you going to come quietly, or are you going to put up another fight?"

In response to his question. I make a dash for it. He curses me and begins running after me.

I pump my arms and legs, ignoring the searing pain coming from my shoulder. I am literally running for my life once again. I run around the corner and duck in between houses.

"You're just delaying the inevitable Mia!" He shouts at me as his footsteps follow me.

I burst out and make a right, heading for a bushy looking house. I dive into the very bushy hedges just as I hear a gunshot.

It whizzes past me as I crash into the twigs and branches, I scramble to get back up and run through this strangers yard. I make it to the backyard and climb the fence. Another shot. This time, it hits the wood next to my hand.

I throw myself over and hit the ground hard. I've bought myself some time, and he hasn't even crossed the yard yet.

Running to the front yard, I jump over the small concrete wall and dart over the street. I spare a glance over my shoulder once I am climbing the opposite side fence. Pat is busy climbing the small concrete wall.

I can get away.

...

Eventually, after climbing into I don't know how many people's yards and crossing countless streets, I've officially lost him.

But I am now officially lost.

I slowly walk up the street, and my arm is in agony. My legs are tired, and my ribs hurt.

I lift my face to the now setting sun and wonder if I am going to make it home tonight.

Finding a place to rest, I sit under a tree and pop another 2 pain pills. Leaning against the tree, I look up and down the road. Making sure I don't find Mr Pat again, searching the sur-

There it is.

My heart skips a beat. The red car.

I begin running to the house with the red car in the driveway.

Making it to the front door, I knock on the door with all my might. The sound echoes through my mind as I look over my shoulders.

Nobody answers.

I begin to bang the door with both my fists and tears stream down my face. Am I too late? Is he-

The door flies open, and I literally fall through the doorway.

"Mia?!" Ryan screams out as I turn over. Shock is written all over his face. "How -"

"Shut up, Ryan." I hiss out as I get to my feet, I shove the door closed and look out of the peephole. "Where's Jack?" I ask, I see nobody outside.

He doesn't answer me, so I turn around and see him just staring at me. "Where. Is. Jack?" I say again with a slight edge to my voice.

He clears his throat. "He went to get food. What is-"

"Dammit..." I mutter to myself and begin pacing in front of the door.

Ryan steps forward and grabs me by my shoulders, I yelp out in pain and slap his hand off my shot shoulder. "Mia? What's happening?" He eyes my shoulder suspiciously but doesn't ask.

"It's Patrick." I say as if it will clear up the mystery.

"What about Patrick?" He asks me genuinely, curious.

"It's him." I whisper shout. "He is the guy working with Creepy Chris!" I expose my shoulder and his face drains of any and all colour. "He shot me after you left."

"Mia..." he says quietly. I'm expecting him to dispute the facts that I'm giving, so I defend myself.

"I was running away from him earlier. It's a miracle that I'm here. He was shooting at-"

"Mia." He places his finger on my lips. "He's here..." my eyes go wide and my mouth opens, but no words come out. He pulls out his phone and types Jack a message. I'm frozen with fear. "Okay. Let's go." He whispers to me and opens the front door.

He leads me out of the front and closes the door quietly.

We silently but quickly make our way to the car. "Tsk tsk... where do you think you two are going?" The voice of Pat rings out.

Ryan freezes next to me and I turn around. He's pointing the gun at us. "Now... we're going to go for a ride..."

I know, it's a short chapter but I honestly had no other ideas of what more to fit into this chapter.
Did you expect it to be Patrick at all?
What do you think he wants?
And will they give it to him?