Chapter 13

It's been a few weeks... and nothing. No Creep. Only a few messages from Ryan once I told him what happened, which he told Jack and then Jack revoked his phone privileges for a while.

I managed to find a job, it's a half day job at the butchery in the middle of town. Atleast it's a job. But I don't think I'm going to make the deadline, we still owe R6,000.

The deadline is 3 weeks away... I'll get maybe R1,500 from Rosie's and then R2,500 from the Butchery. But I'm still going to be R2,000 short. I bite my nails as I make my way to the bakery, can I even afford it?

I try to see if we can afford it but it's a very difficult decision... we need every single rand that we can scrape together. But I mean it is Vickys birthday...

I get there and look at the variety of cakes. The cheapest one I see is R80 but it doesn't look like it's for a girl. I gulp and bite my nails even more, dammit. "Can I help sweetheart?" The lady asks me from behind the counter.

I snap back into reality. "I'm looking for a cake... for an 8 year old girl please." The kind lady points out the bright pink and white cake. R150. I shake my head. "I'm going to have to take that one please." I point to the yellow cake with blue cars on it.

"Sweetie, that's for a boy." I nod my head. "It's R80." I scratch in my pockets and bring out everything I have. She sighs softly and begins counting my coins and notes.

I begin to bite my lips as she does not quite make the R80. I feel my pockets but they are empty, tears spring to my eyes. Oh no. I begin scratching in my bag. "Dammit..." I mutter as I find a few loose coins. I give them to her but it still doesn't make the total. I short it by just under R10. "Please Aunty..." I plead. My heart breaking at the prospect of not surprising her. "I-I'll wash your dishes or or..." my hands begin to itch. "I'll clean anything. Please I just need this cake."

The lady smiles at me and lifts up the counter. I follow and a tear slips down my cheek. "I'll tell you what... clean the kitchen and then I'll see."

I'm so grateful. I wipe my eyes and she shows me where the stuff to clean is.

It's safe to say I make sure the place is absolutely spotless. I even go so far to get a toothpick and clean out every single crevice in that kitchen.

I put everything back as she inspects my work. I look at the time and see it's almost 2. My shift at Rosie's starts at 4, I come back out and the lady turns around with a big smile. "Sweetheart this place is the cleanest it has ever been. Thank you."

I stand up a bit straighter, feeling proud. "No, thank you, Aunty." I say softly.

We go back to the counter and she doesn't take the cake out. My heart drops. Was this a trick for free work?

"Now tell me... when and where do you work?" Maybe my work wasn't enough to pay for the cake... I scratch out my schedule that I hand wrote for myself.

"Well, Aunty." My voice is suddenly raw. "I work at Rosie's diner this afternoon..." she takes my page and reads my schedule.

"Good grief child... when do you have time to rest?" She asks me, I smile sadly and just shake my head. "I see you don't have anything on the weekends?" I nod my head, still unable to speak. "Well, I'd like to steal you for a few hours, please."

"I'm sorry if it's not clean enough, Aunty... I just have to -" she begins to laugh and holds her belly, her red curls bouncing.

I tilt my head curiously and she continues to laugh. "Sweetheart... I'd like to hire you for weekend work." My heart leaps for joy. My face breaks out into a smile.