Chapter 12

I spend the rest of the day hitting the shops in town. Trying to find work, anything.

But it seems as though they can feel my gloom, because they don't want me. I walk out of a little printing shop, which is in a little bit of a sketchy part of town.

I take out my piece of paper and scratch the place dead.

"Hey babe." I stop and my breathing stops as well.

He can't know anything. I need to protect Ryan any way that I can.

"Have you thought about my offer?" I look up at him and feel my anger bubble. He's the reason that I lost Ryan. I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

"I'm not interested." I turn on my heels and walk the opposite direction.

"Ag, come on... I know you want to earn some money." He says softly as he catches up with me.

I scoff and glare at him. "No, thank you!" I spit out at him and duck through a walkway.

"But you don't have a job... and you can earn easy money, baby..." he persists. What in the world does he want from me?

I try to ignore my inner voice that wants to know more. "I see you're thinking about it. Just try it once?" He holds his finger up to indicate the 'once'.

"No." I say as I now begin to stomp away. "I am not INTERESTED... got it?" I say through gritted teeth, I fold my arms across my chest, crumpling my paper slightly.

"Why?" He says harshly, I don't answer him and continue walking. "I asked you a damn question." Ignoring him, I see the end of the walkway in sight.

It happens so quick that I don't know exactly how it happened. But I'm now pinned between this Creep and the wall. "What? Cat, got your tongue now?" He says menacingly, I cast my eyes down.

"I'll scream." I warn him.

"I'll let you go if you just answer me..." he says and I smell the cigarettes on his breath. He lifts my chin up with his finger, I look into his dark blue eyes. "Why?"

I gulp and his eyes flick down to my neck. "I am not that type of a person..." I say softly, starting to feel a bit stuffy.

"Or is it because you have a boyfriend?" Ah there it is. Him trying to fish for information. I push with all my might and he stumbles backwards.

"No. I don't have a boyfriend and it's honestly because I am not interested." He looks at me curiously. "Now leave me alone." I say and carry on my way.

"I saw your boyfriend, babe. So I don't know why you're lying to me." He shouts after me. "If you need the cash... I'll be here."

He doesn't follow me this time.

I let out a sigh of relief as I lean against the wall. Now... where was I... straightening out my page, I head to my next shop.

...

By the end of the day, I am exhausted. Nothing... everyone in this town is not hiring.

I flop onto the chair at Rosie's and hold my head. Tess comes and pats my back. "It's okay Mia... you'll find something..."

I sigh and try to get myself into gear.

It's almost the end of my shift when the bell rings and Mr Creep walks in. "Tess you got this guy?" I ask over my shoulder as I pick up a family's order from the chef station.

"I'm swamped Mia..." she says as she juggles plates and glasses.

I sigh and deliver the family's order before making my way to him. No smile on my face. I'm more annoyed than anything.