Chapter 5

I rush and put my uniform on, which is a maroon knee length skirt and stockings. A white apron type of thing with a maroon long sleeve button up shirt underneath, I pull on comfy sneakers and brush my hair at lightning speed.

I walk down the stairs and find Ryan sitting on the worn out couch with an expression that I know all too well. I clear my throat and run a hand through my frizzy hair.

He jumps up with wide eyes, he quickly hangs his head down with a red face. "I'm done... thank you..." I say softly and walk to the door. I place my hand on the door handle, before I can open the door. His hand touches mine. My body tingles as I turn to face him. His green eyes hold mystery and sadness. "What is it?" I ask, hoping it's nothing like I'm expecting.

"Mia..." he says softly. "What... what happened?" He asks me slowly. He takes my burnt hand in his and he gently runs his thumb over my scarred fingers.

I gulp. My breath catches and I feel the lump form in my throat. "You first." I say in a rough voice.

I dare to look into his eyes, I see the war raging on the inside. He looks torn. "I... I... I shouldn't..." he stutters out and lets go of my hand. Instantly I grab the hand that was holding mine and hold it tightly.

"You want to be let into my life... you need to let me into yours..." I hold his hand and enjoy his warmth that radiates off of him, hoping that he will let me in.

A dark shadow passes over his eyes and he bites his lip. "No Mia... I mean... I can't..." he pulls his hand away from mine and opens the door. He leaves me standing there in my house.

It takes me a while before I get myself into gear and follow him to the car, I get into the car and it's an awkward silence except for me giving him directions to Rosie's Diner. When he stops the car I mumble a thank you.

As I'm reaching for the door, his hand grabs my arm. I turn my head back towards him. He clears his throat before he begins.

"My dad... he was involved in a dark business... and well he made a mistake... and I became his punishment..." he stops and I wait for him to carry on but he doesn't, I realize this is his way of telling me it's my turn to give a part of myself to him.

"My father... drugged me and my sister..." my eyes tear up. "He killed my mom, set the fire and then committed suicide." I stop myself before I break down and get out quickly.

I scramble to the entrance and almost slip from the mud. "Mia! Wait!" Ryan calls out but I ignore him.

I jog up the few steps and get onto the landing. I haunch over and take deep breaths, from the corner of my eye I see Ryan getting out of his car.

I rush into the diner and immediately run into Mrs. Rosie, the third woman in her family to carry on the legacy of their family, she grabs my shoulders and looks at me. "My gosh Mia!" She gasps as she squints and looks me over. "No. No. Go back home!" She begins to turn me back to the entrance I just came through.

I put my heels into the ground and shake my head. "No, Mrs Rosie, please." I begin to panic and my begging intensifies. "Please don't make me face them!" I blurt out. She stops trying to force me out the door.

She turns me back around in her arms. "Mia... who?" I gulp and shake my head as a single tear rolls down my cheek. "Mia..." she warns me. "Who?" She asks me again.

"My... my... my demons." I whisper out. Her face changes drastically, I look away from the pitiful look she's giving me. "P-please ma'am..." I ask with a shaky voice, if she refuses me then I know that it will break down every single defense I've worked so hard to build.

She sighs before she gives me a soft pat on my back. "Okay, but only until 6PM." I open my mouth to say something but she waves her finger in my face. "Only until 6PM Mia. No discussion..." I nod and say my thanks.

The rest of the day flows by, I make roughly R150 in tips. I'm on my way out when Mrs Rosie grabs my shoulder. "How are things going Mia? I know it's almost the anniversary of what happened..." I laugh nervously at her question. How do I answer the question? I don't know.

"Everything is fine Mrs Rosie." I shift my weight to my other leg. "Sorry ma'am but I need to run to Shoprite before they close..." she nods her head and I'm out the diner like a shot.

I speed walk to the Shoprite and on my way there I try to think of what is critical.

I walk into the shop and grab the paper that has all the specials in. I skim through it and see a few deals that we need. Taking a trolley I rush to get the items, I check the time and curse under my breath. There's no food ready. With the mere mention of food, my stomach grumbles, I rub my tummy gently before patting it and forcing my own hunger out of my mind.

I grab the baked bean special, a loaf of bread, some jams and a bottle of milk. I try to do the math in my head, but my brain is mush. I decide to take the chicken pieces that are on special.

I get to a teller and begin to unpack my trolley. He scans the items and I watch the counter tick over. R90 and the chicken and jams are yet to be scanned. I put my hand on the chicken, waiting to see if I can afford it. My heart beats faster as I hope I can get the chicken, we haven't had chicken for a few weeks now 

The two flavors of jam are scanned, my heart drops. R125. I let out a small whimper and try to not let my emotions overtake me.

The guy reaches for the chicken but I pull it away from his grasp. "Ma'am I need to scan it." He says annoyed at me.

"I know... but... is that the total with the specials taken into account?" He gives me a look that says 'are you that dumb?'

"Yes. They've already been deducted..." my heart breaks. I thought I would be able to surprise them with chicken. "Ma'am... the chicken... please." He points to it but I shake my head.

"I can't afford it..." I say softly. He pushes the chicken one side and reads me the amount.

I pay and grab the bag of goods. I make my way home, the grumbling in my stomach getting louder. I place a hand on my stomach. "No. The kids need to eat. Not you." I say to my organ as if that will stop the noises.

I'm almost halfway home when a car slows down next to me. I throw it a nervous glance before picking up my speed.

The car keeps up with me, I begin to panic. Am I about to be kidnapped? What about the kid's food?

The window rolls down and a man leans over to look at me through the window. "Mia Pierce?" I stop and stare at the man. "Ah, it is you. Please get in." I don't make a move. "Mia... I am Jack..." the name sounds familiar but I can't place it, I'm drawing blanks. He sighs. "Ryan's... uncle?" He makes it sound like a question.

I now recall him speaking to a Jack when he gave me a lift earlier today. "Please Mia... we need to speak..." I look around hoping to see someone who can help me but it's deserted, of course at 7:30pm the roads will be empty.

"I'll give you a lift home. Please just get in." Despite my inner voice screaming at me to not get in, I move towards the car and climb in.

I'm hit with the faint smell of cigarettes as I close the door. The door immediately locks and body stiffens. "Now... what did Ryan tell you?" He asks and I just stare at him.

"I'm not repeating myself." Those words bring back memories of my father when he was abusive.

I gulp and ready myself to answer him.

What do you think Jack is going to do? Let her off the hook or continue to grill her?
I truly hope you enjoy the book as I enjoy writing it.
Stay strong and stay safe.