Chapter 10

Not long after he gets the bill, they call me over. I make my way there and force myself to smile. "All done?" I ask through gritted teeth.

They nod their heads and Ryan looks at me with a face full of concern. "Yep, here you go and keep the change." Jack passes me the little black bill holder thingie.

I say my thanks and wish them a good night. I disappear to the actual register in Mrs Rosie's office. I choke on my own spit when I see what the change is. It's over R200. I quickly make my way back to their table but they are gone.

The packet stands on the table that they were just at with a note of it. I reach out and read the note.

Try it out and tell me what you really think - Jack

My heart warms at the gesture and I take the food to the back where my bag is.

I finish my shift and I really made good amounts in tips tonight, thanks to Jack I can give Kathryn R300

I warm up my food and eat as Tess cleans up. "You know." She says while chewing her gum. "That creep is just a creep." I nod my head as I watch the food turn in the microwave.

"You gonna be okay walking home?" She asks as she peeps at me through the hole in the wall.

"Well if I'm found dead, atleast you know who to say is a suspect." I blurt out. Then realising my very dark joke, I let out a dry laugh and clear my throat. "I'll be fine, thanks Tess."

She remains quiet and I understand.

I eat my the first half really quickly and drink half of the milkshake. I put it back into the bag and grab my stuff.

Tess holds the door for me on my way out. "Stay safe out there Mia." I give her a small smile and head out into the night as she locks up.

My ears are on high alert as I make my way to my home. My head constantly whips to this side then the other side, I'm about halfway up the street to my house when headlights shine on me from behind.

I groan as I start to think of ways to make a quick getaway. I walk closer on the pavement to the walkways that made me have a quick getaway last time.

But the car doesn't come near me. Which unnerves me even more because I don't want this creep to know where I live.

I duck into one of the walkways and make my way to the now empty market where street vendors sell things on the side of the pavement.

I hear tyres screech and I know he is coming this way. I make my way into one of the stalls and carefully climb under the makeshift countertop.

I cringe as I feel something wet under me. I hold my bag up making sure that the food doesn't get tainted.

The darkness around me lights up. I stay quiet.

I hear someone speaking but I can't tell what they are saying. I hear the rocks under the tyres crunch as it creeps closer.

"Do you see her?" It's the creeps voice.

"No." Another voice says. "How could you lose her?" The guy says again.

"It's not as if I know where all the alleys are you know." The creep answers back.

The car drives up and down the road multiple times. I don't move a muscle. My fear holding me in place like I'm a statue.

Eventually they give up.

Climbing out of my hiding spot, I roll my shoulders but they hurt even more. I walk quickly home making sure there's nobody following me. I make it home just after 8:30 and surprisingly Kathryn is sitting at the kitchen counter.