Chapter 56

Harry's POV

I woke with uncontrollable shaking and a cold sweat blanketing my body. I had to lay there for a few minutes just trying to get my pulse back to normal and bring myself back to reality. I blew out a long breath and pushed my damp hair back. 

It was always the same, different scenerio's but overall the same. Charlotte was being taken from me and there was nothing I could do. Couldn't move, couldn't speak, and, most importantly, could never save her. I watched, like a statue, as she was dragged away, or bled out, or drowned. Like I said, different scenerio's but always the same result - Charlie being gone. 

Not being able to fall back asleep, I got out of bed and threw on some sweats and a t-shirt. I trudged into the kitchen where McKenna was cooking some waffles. The very smell of them had my mouth watering and my stomach growling.

"Hungry?" McKenna grinned, raising an eyebrow at me. 

"Very," I chuckled, taking a seat at the table. 

While pouring more batter in, McKenna asked, "How was the boys night?"

"It was..." I trailed off, not knowing how to describe the night. Sure, I'd had fun but I was also confused by what was going on with Charlotte and disgusted with myself for what I'd allowed to happen. 

"Interesting," I finished lamely.

"Yeah? How so?" McKenna pressed, seeing my hesitation. 

I shrugged while playing with a stray piece of string from the place-mat and dodged the question, "We had fun."

"Harry," She sighed, turning to face me, "I heard you come home last night."

Shit. 

"I...um......"

"You don't have to explain," McKenna smiled sympathetically, "I just want to make sure that you're okay."

"I don't even know how it happened. She just kept giving me drinks and then before I knew it, we were in a cab," I chewed on my lip, sorting through the fuzzy memories. 

"Is that all?" McKenna gave me a knowing look.

"What do you mean?"

"I saw her getting into the taxi. She looked a little like Charlie," McKenna elaborated. I swear this girl was better then Dr. Owen. I could never get anything past her even if I wasn't aware of it myself. 

"I guess," I answered as McKenna flipped some waffles onto a plate and put it in front of me. 

"Niall also told me what you said, I hope you don't mind. He's worried about you," I figured she'd bring that up. 

"Don't you think something's up?"

McKenna sat down across from me with her own plate of food and sighed, "Well things are off but I don't want to get my hopes up, Harry. It was hard enough losing her once."

I cut up the waffles and put some syrup on while saying, "I know. I just can't stop thinking about it all. I want to leave it alone but I can't."

"Okay, so let me get this straight," McKenna said around a bite of waffle, "No paper trail, she isn't pregnant so the letters were crap, she might be with Evan, and something she said on the phone is familiar to you but you don't know how."

"Well when you put it like that..." I sounded like an absolute nutter. 

McKenna giggled at my grimace and said, "Well what was the thing that sounds familiar?"

"I don't remember exactly."

"Bullshit," She called me out. 

I delayed answering by shoving another piece of waffle in my mouth but McKenna waited patiently.