Chapter 41

The knock I had been waiting for sounded and I jumped up from my perch on the couch. I went to the door and opened it to see McKenna standing there with a tub of ice cream and chips in hand with a big grin.

"Welcome home" I joked even though this place still didn't exactly feel like home to me.

She laughed, "Home sweet home"

We went into the living room and she put the food down along side what I had laid out, pop, candy, and cookies.

Her eye widened at the sight, "What, you trying to fatten me up?"

I poked at her, "You're all skin and bones!" We laughed and McKenna sat on the couch while I scanned out movie selection.

"What do you feel like watching?" I asked, remembering the night before with Harry when I asked the exact same question.

"How about 'This is the end'?"

"Really?" I raised a brow at her.

"Yeah!" She scoffed, "It's funny"

I shrugged and put the movie in then sat down next to McKenna while munching on a cookie.

"So Niall's gone out with the ex, hum?"

"Yeah," McKenna pressed her lips in a tight line, "Bu he has physical therapy at 1:30. But I've decided I'm not going to fixate on it. In not going to be the jealous girlfriend. Niall can reconnect with an old friend. I would want the same treatment if the roles were reversed" I could still see her gnawing on the inside of her cheek.

"Very trusting of you. I completely agree" She had good points and McKenna had no reason to worry.

"What's been going on with you and Harry?" McKenna picked at the chips.

"Good! We stayed in last night with takeout and a movie"

McKenna nodded, "Sounds nice"

"It was" I agreed, "Talked to your parents recently?"

"Yeah," McKenna groaned, "I told my mom what happened and she freaked out. Told me to get my ass back to Canada"

Around a laugh I asked sarcastically, "What time is your flight?"

She rolled her eyes, "I could practically hear her booking my flight"

"I could see your Mom doing that" I agreed with a smile. Despite the joking, McKenna's Moms heart was in the right place. She just wanted to protect her daughter.

McKenna sighed, changing the subject, "We both need to be getting a job soon. I'm sure the savings will disappear sooner then we think"

"What were you thinking?" I asked.

She shrugged, "I'm not sure. Maybe I'll ask Maura if she knows of any openings"

"Good idea"

"What about you?"

I sipped my coke gingerly, "I saw a help wanted sign at that cafe a few blocks down. I thought I'd check that out"

"What was it called?"

"Beans n' cream cafe, I think?"

"Sounds alright"

"Yeah," I bit my lip.

"What?" McKenna picked up that I was holding something back.

I switches positions, pulling my feet under me and angled myself more towards her, "I was thinking about maybe taking a course or two at the community college. I wouldn't go full time and I don't know what I'd take and I don't even know if I can afford it" The more I thought about it, the more uncertain I became.